The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cars dead .

chris2o2

Went to start the supra to day after 4-5 days sitting and it clicked repeatadly but wouldnt start .

I hooked it up to my dads car for 10-15mins and tried to charge the battery - now it wont do a thing , no click and now the alarm wont work . Some of my Dash lights are still lit up as im typing this and the SAFC is still lit up and showing some numbers etc . Windows would go down initially but very slowly .

:( Bit frustrating .

Battery dead ? Starter motor ?

Thanks Guys .

Went to start the supra to day after 4-5 days sitting and it clicked repeatadly but wouldnt start .

I hooked it up to my dads car for 10-15mins and tried to charge the battery - now it wont do a thing , no click and now the alarm wont work . Some of my Dash lights are still lit up as im typing this and the SAFC is still lit up and showing some numbers etc . Windows would go down initially but very slowly .

:( Bit frustrating .

Battery dead ? Starter motor ?

Thanks Guys .

Dead battery mate,

I would take it off check the fluid levels top up if need be and give it an over night charge if that as not helped Halfords for new battery :)..

You think its worth trying a better car ?

I honestly didnt think it mattered about the other car !!

I knew that I was being cheeky when I tried it. The batteries on those cars do not have enough power to start a larger car or charge the battery.

Think about trying to use a 1.5v AA battery in your Rectangular 9v powered torch, It just wont happen!!

Yeah your car requires more amps to crank than the Ka does. Our 1.6gti manages to start my sup no bother but i know that has an oil burner battery in it.

Fire it up with the golf if you can, if you can find a diesel it will definitely work. Once up and running take it for a good blast for around 20-30 mins. Make sure your at home before shutting it down and trying to fire it up again. If it works, make sure you take it out regularly over the next few days to build up the charge.

When you say you connected to your dads battery 'to charge it up' what specifically do you mean?

I thought you meant jump started, but now im not so sure!

Yeah i was using the jump leads :)

I've used my brothers car before and it worked so here's hoping :taped:

Thanks for the advice , i shall report back later .

Yeah i was using the jump leads :)

I've used my brothers car before and it worked so here's hoping :taped:

Thanks for the advice , i shall report back later .

So did you actually jump start it or just connect them for 10-15 mins hoping it would charge?

My 1.2 3cyl petrol Ibiza's battery jump starts the Supe no bother.

No i tried to jump start it ! I might be a bit slow but im not that bad...

Just back from a 20min drive , seemed fine - got home turned her off and the turbo timer is dead(not illuminated)...so it just keeps ticking over and wouldnt turn itself off... ! I eventually put the key back in and turned it all the way to the right which killed the engine .

Now half my dash is still illuminated ...

This photo was taken about 5 mins after the engine had stopped .

Any ideas?

:) Thanks bud .

Got someone to come have a look over it for me in the next few days .

If you have a voltmeter/multimeter its a 2 second check. Just fire up the car and touch the positive and negative terminals with the appropriate probes. Readout should be around the 14.1v mark if your alternator is healthy.

Incidentally...... i have a brand new alternator here ;)

If you have a voltmeter/multimeter its a 2 second check. Just fire up the car and touch the positive and negative terminals with the appropriate probes. Readout should be around the 14.1v mark if your alternator is healthy.

Incidentally...... i have a brand new alternator here ;)

how much your selling it for i think mine might be knacked testing it out this weekend to see

Simplest explanation for the dash lights going off like a christmas tree is the alternator though... is it not? Something to do with voltage regulator diodes or something like that. My battery went tits up this winter, certainly didn't light up my dash.

Can't do any proper searches as i'm in work though. Just be careful Chris, if its not the battery your going to be £85 down for nothing. Best thing to do is stick a voltmeter on it and see what you get.