The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Drag oil pickup Baffle suggestions

StuartW

I wondered if anyone had any suggestions of mods to the oil pickup.

I am looking foreward to receiving my fully built head shortly and before i close up the fully built engine i feel the stock oil pickup could be improved on.

I hope to have a sub 8 second supra :innocent:

I have a PHR oil pump (enlarged oil return port and uprated oil pressure) and HKs oil cooler but apart from that the oil system is stock.

I have heard of making a baffle around the pickup to reduce oil sliding away from the pickup at 0-175mph in sub 8 sec quarters.

Maybe the stock system is ok for this spec?

Anyone with experience of this would be greatly appreciated.

i was thinking of a simple 30mm upstand about 10mm behind the oil pickup strainer to simply reduce the chance of the oil going backwards on launch.

My thoughts on this is that oil returns from the turbo into the front of the sump and this bridge would dam the oil more foreward?

Discuss....

Stuart

Edited by StuartW (see edit history)

Im sure others will comment on the stock setup and how suitable it is, but you can buy for not much money a switched emergency pump to ensure there is plenty of oil pressure if the pressure starts to drop, you can decide at what point it activates and for how long it runs, I will try to find a link for you.

James

I would have thought if your Supra is going to be capable of sub 8 second quarters, then dry sump is the way to go, however i'm sure a baffle behind the pickup will help a lot, as far as i'm aware the PHR pump does not provide any increase in oil pressure, as std pressure is pretty high anyway, and going to high can cause problems.