The mkiv Supra Owners Club

out for a spin...now unsure

supraspeed

Ok had to pick my girl mate up from maida vale today coming from kings langley (near Watford). apart from the wipers blowing fuses before i set off, the fuel gauge not working..or the speedo...and no upper boot rubbers fixed, i set off. this has been the first time in about a year ive travelled this distance length and after going and coming back i remember why i wanted to sell the thing lol. going on the fact ive got 19's all round with 10" rears, and no trac control, the handling isn't gonna be great. but even when i put my foot down a bit on the straights, it felt incredibly twitchy and a bit like driving a jet..complete loss of sense i was actually touching the ground..bit like gliding lol. Now also the other thing that was chronically infuriating was the noise. i'm not sure what exactly my exhaust is but its de-catted..and its soooo loud. i was lucky not to get tinnitus! its ok driving round ere and there but my god its annoying! the suspension is rock hard and picks out the smallest chip stones making the ride really uncomfortable. the car generally just feels unsafe! really like its got a mind of its own. really thinking of getting rid of it and getting one which is a bit more standard. not sure whether to go forward with this 6 speed conversion now. i'm just to scared to put my foot down in it in case it explodes! lol :D

Edited by Branners
removed unecessary swearing (see edit history)

Ok had to pick my girl mate up from maida vale today coming from kings langley (near Watford). apart from the wipers blowing fuses before i set off, the fuel gauge not working..or the speedo...and no upper boot rubbers fixed, i set off. this has been the first time in about a year ive travelled this distance length and after going and coming back i remember why i wanted to sell the thing lol. going on the fact ive got 19's all round with 10" rears, and no trac control, the handling isn't gonna be great. but even when i put my foot down a bit on the straights, it felt incredibly twitchy and a bit like driving a jet..complete loss of sense i was actually touching the ground..bit like gliding lol. Now also the other thing that was chronically infuriating was the noise. i'm not sure what exactly my exhaust is but its de-catted..and $#@! me its soooo loud. i was lucky not to get tinnitus! its ok driving round ere and there but my god its annoying! the suspension is rock hard and picks out the smallest chip stones making the ride really uncomfortable. the car generally just feels unsafe! really like its got a mind of its own. really thinking of getting rid of it and getting one which is a bit more standard. not sure whether to go forward with this 6 speed conversion now. i'm just to scared to put my foot down in it in case it explodes! lol :D

Great sales pitch :blink:

If handling is poor suspension is usually to blame. People say the 19s and wider tyres dont help handing and maybe thats true to some extent, but there are loads on here with 19s who have great handling. Primarily because they have got new/good suspension and possibly had a geo set up. My handling was god awfull at one stage but after new suspension was fitted its fantastic.

Ive read a few of your posts in the past and it doesnt seem like your having much luck what with the gearbox issues etc. Stick it out, fix the few probs you have and i assure you, that you will love the car again. I felt the same when my handling was bad, but once it was back to how it should be im in love with the car again. Keep at it and dont get rid. YOU WILL NOT GET MORE BANG FOR YOUR BUCK (AND RELIABILITY) THAN THE SUPRA.

Sounds like the car has many problems, dont flog it on to some poor guy that wastes his life savings on it, break it or sell it to Tom for a grand.

i'l be completly honest in selling it listing all the problems etc. just a few people will see "orange, supra, 400bhp+" and will prob buy it....i did the same but without the orange bit :D

would that be honest ??, does it run 400+ BHP

it does run over 400bhp. it was catching up with my dads evo fq400 for a start when i first got it in a drag race. the guy i bought it off did have a dyno copy he was going to give me when i picked it up but he couldn't find it at the time and never got round to sending it to me... i was going to get it dyno'd anyway but never happened

it does run over 400bhp. it was catching up with my dads evo fq400 for a start when i first got it in a drag race. the guy i bought it off did have a dyno copy he was going to give me when i picked it up but he couldn't find it at the time and never got round to sending it to me... i was going to get it dyno'd anyway but never happened

so thats a no then :D

it does run over 400bhp.

Have you found out what spec this car has yet? does it have uprated injectors and ECU, it wont have 400bhp if its still on 330cc injectors, dont put that car on a dyno till somebody that knows what they are doing has checked it over.

Have you found out what spec this car has yet? does it have uprated injectors and ECU, it wont have 400bhp if its still on 330cc injectors, dont put that car on a dyno till somebody that knows what they are doing has checked it over.

yeah it has bigger ones, not sure what the size are though but the car would underfuel dreadfully otherwise, prob would have noticed by now

Hey! thats not fair lol. unfortunatly i can't prove it until i get it dyno'd but that would be one thing i would do before selling if someone asked.

Sorry mate, I am not having a go at you, you have enough on your plate!

You said you were going to be honest if you sold and then said 400+ BHP, but you have no proof other than you almost caught an FQ400, that would not cut it for an experienced buyer, it may get it sold to some poor unsuspecting sod who would end up having his/her pants pulled down on here whan they came showing it off, and thats how you eneded up with it right, seller telling you he had a dyno sheet somewhere, and it goes missing, you never loose a dyno sheet IMO if it has good results !

You may find it does have 400+, but TBH it seems to have so many unknowns I doubt it and until you have the spec I would not test it on a dyno

i'm gonna have to do something. bit unsure tho. thing is breaking it would be really hard for me as i'm not a mechanic of any kind. interiors and stuff is a piece of piss for me to take out but other things arn't. problem is i'm a bit of a situation where i'm hopefully moving out soon and need to start saving for a house etc. i can prob live with another supra but getting a tt 6spd will be pretty hard to find for my budget. and i don't fancy an auto.