The mkiv Supra Owners Club

brake fluid jelly problem

Benyon

Ok I had a problem last year my brake pedal went stiff and it was like my brakes was constantly on, Took it to mechanics he noticed the brake fluid was like jelly, So I got him to change the fluid and clean out the system. The car has been fine for the past 4 months then today it does it again I check the fluid and its turn to jelly.... AGAIN, I suspect its the cold weather and there must be a seal gone or something. What could it be that keeps turning it to jelly.

Ok I had a problem last year my brake pedal went stiff and it was like my brakes was constantly on, Took it to mechanics he noticed the brake fluid was like jelly, So I got him to change the fluid and clean out the system. The car has been fine for the past 4 months then today it does it again I check the fluid and its turn to jelly.... AGAIN, I suspect its the cold weather and there must be a seal gone or something. What could it be that keeps turning it to jelly.

Sorry mate cant help you. Mine was changed recently and its was black !!:blink: but it was still liquid, if a bit thick. Its was probably 15years old, so needed a change.

This is a text book symptom of mixing DOT 5 (silicone based fluid with normal Glycol or synthetic DOT 3 , 4 or 5.1 fluid. The brakes are now unsafe and need fully stripping, cleaning and ideally re rubbering. On something like a Rolls or a Citroen it's often costly enough for the car to be a scrapper, although in their cases the fluid incompatibility is somewhat different. It's a very common mistake for people to think DOT 5 and DOT 5.1 are mixable, and whoever gave a radically different, (and potentially dangerous to intermix), brake fluid the same moniker as the common type, plus only a .1 suffix wants shooting.

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

I am not sure if I posted this before, but I do a very quick and simple test if I even SUSPECT a car has had DOT 5 put in it. Syringe out about half the fluid in the reservoir and put it in a clean glass jar. Add roughly the same volume of water. Shake the jar for a few seconds, then leave it standing for 30 minutes. If the liquids separate out into 2 layers you have the dreaded DOT 5 and need to take great care to top it up with only more DOT 5, assuming you are 110% sure that mixing hasn't already taken place. If the mix doesn't separate out, it's not DO 5 and you can top up and bleed with DOT 3 , 4 , or 5.1 with some confidence.

In all cases dispose of the stuff in the jar, DON'T put it back in the reservoir!!! :)

You can buy fancy electronic testers, but the above is very simple and costs sod all.