The mkiv Supra Owners Club

vvti shocker leak

Guest pande

Hi guy

Got a 98 vvti thats got a near side front shocker leak. Its got the shockers with an oil feed so need some help to sort it.

Can i recon it?

Is there any seconds out there?

How do i top up the oil? temp solution

Any help welcome as ive only had the car for a short while and at the moment its in for a full repaint so need to sort the shocker problem before building it up.

Thanks

How do i top up the oil?

I wished I knew, they may well have to be filled and pressurised.

I've got a little corrosion on the pipes which I wouldn't mind replacing. The mot bloke gave me an advisory on the brake pipes but I think he's got them mixed up with the ones for the shocks as they're very close.

Some other Toyota cars (4-runner is one) use a similar suspension setup (but the shocks are connected diagonally x-reas), I need to have a read of their workshop manuals to see if I can get any helpful information.

Here's some info on the x-reas that I've just found, I haven't found anything at all worthwhile for the reas in my previous searches.

Bare in mind that the two systems aren't connected in exactly the same way.

X-REAS Fitted to Toyota 4 Runner

Oil is filled in the components and a check valve is built in the joint portion, for serviceability.

Oil bleeding and changing cannot be implemented for X-REAS. Parts exchanging operation due

to the oil leakage should be done all as a set (front shock absorber, rear shock absorber, center control absorber, and tube assembly

I'm going to have another read in the morning as it's late and I'm off to bed. :yawn:

Edited by merckx (see edit history)

The check valves avoid the loss of fluid enabling some components to be replaced.

But:

An individual component may be replaced only when the system is repaired for the first time, provided that there is no oil leakage.

The last time I had a look of the epc I could only find the part numbers for the complete assembly. :blink: