The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Manifold pressure feeds to power steering

Wez

Hey All,

Does anyone know what the two manifold pressure feeds to the power steering pump are used for, I guess for map compensation or something.

Would it be OK to 'T' into one of these for my dump valve rather than running a long pressure feed to the back of the manifold like I have now?

:cool:

Not 100% charlie.(waits for tech guru to set me straight).:)

He did in the second post :p

The power steering stiffness is controlled by an ECU under the dash that takes a speed signal off the back of the Speedo head (this is why cheap speedo converters can screw the steering up unless the original KPH pulse is retain for these systems). This controls a pulse width modulated solenoid in the rack that PRV's off some of the pressure so reduce assistance.

Lyndon.

Edited by Nodalmighty (see edit history)

The two pressure feeds are there to increase the idle speed of the engine when using the power steering, so it doesn't potentially stall or lower the idle to chug levels.

They both go to a valve on the PAS pump. When the wheel is turned (not just when it hits the rack end stops ;) ), the valve opens up and lets air through, bypassing the throttle body and giving the engine more air.

-Ian