The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HKS HiperD coilovers charge pressure?

Stephen G

I have a set of these and i was wanting to know does anyone know what type of oil and amount goes into them and what gas pressure to put into them.? A local rallycar builder can charge them for me but has never done HKS before and doesnt know what pressure to put into them.

Any help would be great..

My rally car man says its 'dry nitrogen' that goes into them but at what pressure is the question. Some of the suspension that the rally cars use have about 12-13 bar of pressure in them. But i dont know are they just 'gas shocks' or 'gas oil' like the hiperD are. I took two of mine apart the other day and there are nothing to bad in doing it and the shocks are quite simple to take apart just need to watch the order they come apart. The oil seals will need replacing and the oil was a bit crap looking so have to get some new oil. I dont know what to use yet. Its between fork oil for a bike or hydrolic oil and have to get some new rubber oil seals. But it has to the right type of rubber because the oil can it some types away. There are a local company who repair hydrolic rams and i should be able to get the seals from them. I starting to think these companys who rebuild shocks a realy taking the piss for what they could end up charging us. So if i just could find out what pressure to put into them they shold be 100% again.

OK, i have been watching this for a while. HKS out sourced their dampers and used loads of different suppliers, so, given that proper technical information from them is scant to none existent, I'd SUGGEST 9 bar, but if the thing leaks, first suspect they are *uggered, and secondly blame yourself for buying dampers with next to zero technical back up :)

On your own head...

Proper damper oil is available from Penske, Proflex, Sachs, Quantum, Silkolene and plenty of other sources. I THINK Demon Tweeks listed some. HKS has a UK distributorship, who should be able to help you.