The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car geometry 'Tech Talk' - near Tamworth - Sunday 5th April

SteveR

Following on from the interest thread there seem to be quite a few people interested so I've gone ahead and booked a date for this talk/demo, which will be held at Center Gravity's workshop near Tamworth:

• Chassis and suspension tuning
    • The art of tuning the car to optimise grip in race car preparation

[*]Camber, castor and toe

• Practical demonstration using props and tyres to highlight:
      • Camber – used for corner grip
      • Castor – changing steering feel and self centring
      • Toe – how toe affects the stability of rear wheel drive cars

[*]Factors affecting steering pulling

[*]Tyre Science

• Tyre make, age, size design effects on handling

[*]4-wheel alignment

• Process of 4 wheel alignment
    • How braking and application of power changes the rear and front geometry

[*]Corner weight balancing

• The distribution of weight across the four wheels to ensure equal left-right turn performance
    • Demonstration of corner weight balancing with some pub-table physics - sorry no alcohol allowed ;)

Questions

• Particular concerns or problems

Arrive 10:30am for 11:00am start.

The talk will last around 4 hours and will be FREE, although please don't leave Chris & Jayne out of pocket for the tea/coffee/biscuits they provide during the event. :)

Members from any of the events regions are welcome.

Numbers are limited to 20. To avoid another member missing out on the opportunity, please only sign up if you WILL be coming (or if you sign up but your plans change, let me know ASAP).

I am also looking for 2 volunteers to bring their Supras:

• Supra 1 will have the corner weights measured as part of the talk. The knowledge gained from this procedure would most benefit a track enthusiast.
  • Supra 2 will have it's basic geometry measured. The knowledge gained from this would best benefit someone who has aftermarket suspension but who hasn't had a geometry setup carried out.

NB: Measurements can be carried out on any car, but adjusting the corner weighting requires height-adjustable suspension.

So if either of the above applies to you, step forward. - I'll pick the 2 cars/owners when the list is full. :)

edit - no more volunteers please!

Further info:

Address:

Unit 2, Plot 14 Brindley Close

Holly Lane Industrial Estate

Atherstone

Warwickshire

CV9 2GA

Map/directions.

Center Gravity's website.

AshBHP had his geometry/coner weighting carried out there, and after his write up I also got mine done.

Edited by SteveR
updating info (see edit history)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Attending:

01. SteveR - confirmed

02. AlexM - confirmed

03. bignum - confirmed

04. Wez - confirmed

05. TrickTT - confirmed

06. Andy Blyth - confirmed

07. AshBhp - confirmed

08. M45sey - confirmed

09. Pete - confirmed

10. Ryan.G - confirmed

11. Ian R

12. Dnk - confirmed

13. AndyBandit - confirmed

14. GJD - confirmed

15. Pete's +1 - confirmed

16. M5W TT - confirmed

17. Chiefgroover - confirmed

18. little num - confirmed

19. p111ddy - confirmed

20. adnanshah - confirmed

Corner weight measurement: AlexM

Geo mesurement: bignum

Sighting Geo assessment: Pete

Edited by SteveR (see edit history)

I'll be there. I'd love to bring my white supra for the position of 'Supra 1', so put me down as available for that please Steve. :)

Fair play, I'd say your white car is a worthy contender for that position - no promises though, I did say I'd decide when all 20 places are taken. If either the decision becomes tricky I'll be speaking to Chris for his input.

One thing I was wondering, for the geometry measurement car, it might be worth sticking an older Supra with completely stock, original suspension forward, to see how age affects things... it's just a thought though.

I might pop along if thats ok

Course it is mate, Chris even said if we can't find suitible examples of lowered/track/etc cars to look at on the ramps, yours would be a good one to show people as everything is brand new and 100% spot on. (Irrelevent now as we've alread got volunteer cars for each topic!)

Anyway, do you want sticking on the list? :)