The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hey Hey :)

Dan_Turism0

Hi Folks,

Always loved Supra's and wanted one from a young age, now I'm finally in the position to make the dream a reality.

I'm currently driving a Lex Is200 some pics of her here - http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f5/Dan_Harris/The%20Car/

Unfortunately I'm looking at letting it go and looking at a supra TT, as all new members just looking for some background info on what to look for/look out for? e.g. 5spdvs6spd/vvti vs non-vvti etc etc all words of wisdom will be warmly appreciated :)

I'm only 23 so I'm not looking for a heavily modded weapon but i've had a insurance quote for £672 which is decent, i've already seen a Supra in the forsale that i'm in love with :D

Best

Dan

thats a very low quote for a TT for someone your age to be honest!. I would check its not on a mk 3, that often happens! Also check its not for a UK spec car. Your not forced to be able to find a UK spec.

Which insurance company is it?

all you need to know is on the site but basicly the 5 speed is only on non turbo cars unless its been converted, I had a 5 speed and loved it, the geerchange was very pleasing but it cant hold much more than 400-450 bhp for any length of time. (You will have to spend a lot of money to get that out of an NA)

The 6 speed is a very strong box (800bhp+) but somewhat "agricultural". They come on later Non turbo's and TTs but are rare on the non turbo.

The 4 speed auto is very good and highly praised and was years (if not decades) ahead of its time and is still excelent today.

It can be hard to do research on geerboxes as most people seem to slag one or other off without driving them at any length (the same with the engines)

Ive had a 5 speed NA and an auto TT and loved them both. Ive driven a 6 speed NA and although it seemed to go through the geers quickly that was probably due to the fact it was an NA. If i had the choice between a TT auto and a manual TT it would depend what i wanted to use the car for.

vvti/non vvti - late (98 onwards i think) TT's came with vvti, I dont know a lot about these to be honest but as far as i know they are more dificult to run with single conversions, however now with this fancy new solaris ECU that is about that might be ok now.

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)

Hi guys, the quote I did was on a 94 supra (not sure what mk that is) and was on a uk spec TT (for a import it was only £350 more), also did a quote through confused (which don't take into account Bell) and my quote was £728 so :) things are looking good.

I would love to drop the 2JZ-GTE into my is200 however I'll need a supra as a donor car anyways as i'll need the getrag out of the supra and all in all by the time labour+conversion is done i'm going to be looking at 12-15k for the conversion, so it's not really worth it to be honest + I don't think I could bare to see a lovely supra getting stripped of it's manhood :D.

My Is200 is a 2000x reg so is in the cheap tax band and have been quoted £4500 by a garage in December so I'm hoping for around this as it's got very low mileage for it's age 70k and has had a cambelt replaced at 50k, 2 new discs+pads changed in January on the front, a new clutch + flywheel fitted this month, FSH and also recently fitted a Prolex Kazama exhaust.

Think i'm going to be looking for a TT supra in the manual, not too fussy on colour, light on the mods and hopefully lowish on the mileage. When looking for new cars I tend to purchase them through the owners clubs as I did with my IS200 as I know that I have a higher chance of the car being better lokoed after. :)

Edited by Dan_Turism0 (see edit history)

Welcome to the club.

I would advise trying to get some test drives in a variety of cars. I originally wanted a TT6, so drove some standard power and some modded 430 bhp+. Then I drove an auto, I could not get a decent TT6 for my budget £18000K at the time, but found an auto with low mileage and never regretted buying it. I had it for seven years before pulling it to bits and turning into a 6 speed with higher power.

I have driven many auto cars, many a lot younger than my Auto MKIV but none of the boxes came close for smoothness and speed of changes. It will also out accelerate a standard TT 6 speed at road legal speeds. If I were in the market for a standard car, I would put condition and mileage over the type of box. I am sure if you look out for some local meets, there will be members who would willingly take you out for a drive.

Looking long term ownership, auto boxes are a lot cheaper to replace than a six speed box. Factor in the cost of replacement clutches for the 6 speed. The S/H value of manual boxes is rising due to the demand for 6 speed conversions.

Good luck with your search and be careful there are some terrible examples out there.

Thanks Term :) will keep my eye out for a local meet and hopefully attend and park on the outside in my Lex lol ;), would love to be taken out in one (well maybe not in this weather).

I see the sense in the Auto arguement however I couldn't get used to driving a auto and I fear I would lose concentration and also want to give my left leg something to do :D

I see the sense in the Auto arguement however I couldn't get used to driving a auto and I fear I would lose concentration and also want to give my left leg something to do :D

Use it to brake with ;)

Many on here wax lyrical about the manual box but I wouldnt have one as a gift. Noisy, notchy change, heavy clutch, rattly flywheel - if Supras were only made in manual there wouldnt be one parked in my garage now :) Same applies to aerotop.

Welcome along

Use it to brake with ;)

Many on here wax lyrical about the manual box but I wouldnt have one as a gift. Noisy, notchy change, heavy clutch, rattly flywheel - if Supras were only made in manual there wouldnt be one parked in my garage now :) Same applies to aerotop.

Welcome along

Like and agree with what he's saying....so perhaps you might like this as it's not shifting at the ad's price?

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=175098

welcome :) that`s a a good qoute u have,i`m 26,5 years NCB and have a 700£ policy

Welcome matey!!! ;)

Im 24 5NCB protected and i got fully comp for £500 for my renewal yesterday!! If i hadnt have protected the no claims i could have got it for £427!! So keep looking for insurance as the deals are out there!!! :)