The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car geometry 'Tech Talk' - register your interest please

SteveR

Interested in attaneding a geometry talk?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Interested in attaneding a geometry talk?

Center Gravity are geometry experts situation near Tamworth, so almost perfectly central to the entire Midlands region.

AshBHP had his car done there, and after his write up I also got mine done.

Chris and Jayne from Center Gravity run regular-ish Tech Talks for car clubs, which are FREE and last around 4 hours. A typical talk would cover:

• Chassis and suspension tuning
    • The art of tuning the car to optimise grip in race car preparation

[*]Camber, castor and toe

• Practical demonstration using props and tyres to highlight:
      • Camber – used for corner grip
      • Castor – changing steering feel and self centring
      • Toe – how toe affects the stability of rear wheel drive cars

[*]Factors affecting steering pulling

[*]Tyre Science

• Tyre make, age, size design effects on handling

[*]4-wheel alignment

• Process of 4 wheel alignment
    • How braking and application of power changes the rear and front geometry

[*]Corner weight balancing

• The distribution of weight across the four wheels to ensure equal left-right turn performance
    • Demonstration of corner weight balancing with some pub-table physics - sorry no alcohol allowed ;)

Questions

• Particular concerns or problems

I'd like to organise one for club members - hopefully on a Saturday SUNDAY sometime later in the year. If you are interested, please vote.

If it goes well, there would be the option to return again for an even more in-depth talk on a specific topic(s) of our choice.

(Members from any of the events regions are welcome.)

Edited by SteveR (see edit history)

With 11 yes votes we've already got enough interest for this to go ahead. :)

NB: Group size will be limited to 20 "so that everyone can get their eye in" and really see what's what when Chris demonstrates the theory he'll be discussing on example cars in the workshop.

I'll sort out a date for this to go ahead asap.

TSS and EDC too I hope? :p

Saturday or Sunday is fine with me, as long as it's an empty one! :)

TSS does my head in, I can't fathom the website try as I might. Post up the dates and I'll try to avoid them - can't promise though as choice will be limited and TSS isn't going to stop many of us attending, being realistic. :p

I'll avoid JTS (Silverstone's turn to host EDC & TA) but if I avoid too many other things we'll never get to go!

Would highly recommend this for the track heads. :)

Especially useful for the enthusiast, but I'd say almost essential for anyone who gives even a passing thought to handling from time to time. The money we as a club must chuck at bodykits, paintwork, gauges, servicing, fuel.... yet rarely does anyone consider if their car is acting the way Toyota intended - with some of our cars approaching 16 years old I'd suggest the answer for more than a few is going to be... probably not!

I know you were pleased after a geo setup, as was I (the car was transformed and a real joy to drive), but I understood a lot of what it was going to achieve before I went in, ths is a great way for people to really find out what's what, without committing to anything or forking out £££s. :)

TSS:

23/03/09 Round 1 - Rockingham

03/05/09 Round 2 - Barkston Heath

14/06/09 Round 3 - Waterbeach

04/07/09 Round 4 - Teesside

08/08/09 Round 5 - Woodbridge

24/10/09 Round 6 - Barkston Heath

It's not the best (they really need a website) but it's not that hard to work out Steve. :)

TSS:

23/03/09 Round 1 - Rockingham

03/05/09 Round 2 - Barkston Heath

14/06/09 Round 3 - Waterbeach

04/07/09 Round 4 - Teesside

08/08/09 Round 5 - Woodbridge

24/10/09 Round 6 - Barkston Heath

It's not the best (they really need a website) but it's not that hard to work out Steve. :)

I'm too old. ;)