The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Slight noise in 1st & 3rd

Dave_SZ-R

Hey guys,

Had the Supra a week now and can now say Ive got used to it's quirks! The gearbox, as I have come to learn can best be described as 'agricultural', although i prefer 'clunky'.

Anyway, Im getting a very slight 'whining' in 1st and 3rd while driving, which seems to disappear completely when I take the car out of gear, but not when I depress the clutch.

Its not bothering me tbh, and Im sure its nothing serious, but then why be a member of the club and not ask about it?!

I have a 6-speed n/a by the way...

Thanks in advance for any help guys!

1st and 3rd are on the same shaft aren't they.

Taking it out of gear stops the shaft spinning, depressing the clutch means it will still be spinning by being driven by the wheels.

Shaft bearings getting a bit noisy IMO. Prob nothing to worry about at all, but a change of gear fluid may quieten it down.

I had a Rangie that howled like a b*tch, so I stuck 140 weight oil in it..... that shut it up :D

• 2 weeks later...
1st and 3rd are on the same shaft aren't they.

Taking it out of gear stops the shaft spinning, depressing the clutch means it will still be spinning by being driven by the wheels.

Shaft bearings getting a bit noisy IMO. Prob nothing to worry about at all, but a change of gear fluid may quieten it down.

I had a Rangie that howled like a b*tch, so I stuck 140 weight oil in it..... that shut it up :D

Not sure if this sound is getting any louder, but you know how it is when you start listening for a noise (I really need to fit my new headunit!).

I can best describe it as a 'whining' sound in 1st, 3rd and quieter whine in 5th. Its not a loud noise, and probably not something a passenger would notice unless pointed out to them.

The sound doesn't seem to be present in 2nd, 4th or 6th, so Krans' analysis sounds sensible. Are the 'shaft bearings' hes referring to inside my 6-speed V161 gearbox?

Im aware that the gearbox is very robust, and quite agricultural and 'clunky' in its nature, but Im also aware its expensive to replace, so want to catch any trouble early if possible.

Also, is there anything in this that could point to other parts such as my clutch or diff?

Sorry to go on about what is most likely a minor issue (release bearing anyone?), but Im the kind of person who worries about noises/rattles/judders etc. and want to get to the bottom of it.

So I was out and about testing the car to see if I could pinpoint any more symptoms, heres what I found:

- The 'whining' in gear is noticeably louder when I rest my hand on the gear lever.

- When I depress the clutch whilst rolling in 1st, the car makes a 'donkdonkdonk' noise which gets descendingly lower, and lasts for afew seconds.

- There is a noticeable 'squeak' from outside the car when the clutch is depressed.

The main reason Im posting here is that I have a 3 month warranty on the car, so if Im looking at something like a dodgy clutch for example, its better to sort now than later.

Is it possible that I have an aftermarket clutch/ flywheel/ something else that could be responsible for these sounds?