The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto box - what happens if...

hogmaw

The owners manual says 'Do NOT put into reverse when driving forward' which suggests to me that it's possible, but not advisable. It doesn't say what will happen though!

At lower speeds it will shift to reverse from D or when rolling forward, but it is not advised as with any auto box. Try it from high speed, either it locks the gear out or will not go in. Someone asked about it a long while ago and I remember someone trying it and saying it wasn't possible.

I once knocked it into N while 'making swift progress' passed a Scooby. Near pooped myself and felt a proper numpty.

You can read the whole shameful story here and also look back to a time when I made actual spelling mistakes!!

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=47814

Yes I've put it into N before while overtaking. It was almost a brown trouser moment, but I got away with it. If I had shifted into R god knows what would have happened.

When i first got my supra younger brother took for test drive ,i said go ahead and try manual mode . took of first second then he must of pushed a bit to hard and touched reverse ,back wheels locked and threw car sideways thought we where scrubbed

missed neutral then pushed the button on the side then kept pushing forward into reverse then did he....

I've hit first by accident instead of second while slowing down for a tight corner and it didn't change at first but when it did the revs jumped to 5k and the engine braking caused the rears to lock a little which made it a little squirmy but i was already on the brakes anyway which sorted it out after a second or two.

Mythbusters did this recently trying to put both a manual and an auto into reverse at speed to see what would happen. Even with a shed of an American tank it did nothing. Apparently auto boxes have gimmickry and wizardry in them to stop the feckless doing such a thing and so causing a minor explosion!

Well, reverse I can understand, because all the gearing would be moving in the opposite direction at the time you tried to get it to shift into it.

First might be possible if the revs were low enough, but you were travelling at higher speed, wouldn't it? Maybe that's why it's a pain to have to push the button to get it to go into first, as that is one of the safety devices.

I've managed to get mine into 1st while slowing down, and the revs shot up to the redline instantly, but then I put it back into second, and it calmed down.

its not just supras, all auto box's have the final say on a gear change, so you would never be able to put it in too low gear, you could move the selector but it wouldnt change, as for reverse, i did this in my starlet gt some years ago at about 10 mph and it made a long clicking sound like a ratchet then it stalled the engine but did no damage, i cant see how anyone could hit reverse by accident at speed in an auto anyway unless they are this guy lol

its not just supras, all auto box's have the final say on a gear change, so you would never be able to put it in too low gear, you could move the selector but it wouldnt change, as for reverse, i did this in my starlet gt some years ago at about 10 mph and it made a long clicking sound like a ratchet then it stalled the engine but did no damage, i cant see how anyone could hit reverse by accident at speed in an auto anyway unless they are this guy lol

T.W.A.T. !

And I thought those cars looked crap from the outside! The interior made me feel sick, and then he... :blink: