The mkiv Supra Owners Club

6 speed conversion list

supraspeed

ok sorted out a deal with the parts place about my 6 speed and are giving me discount on other parts i need....sooooooo...

ok mines a 5speed n/a-single currently

got the 6 speed box and as far as i know these are the only other parts i need so could anyone add anything else as i want to try and get it all bought in one go

6spd box

tt propshaft

tt flywheel

tt clutch slave cylinder

tt clutch

anything else as i dont want to be missing anything once i take it all to whifbitz

by the way i did use search but all auto-6spd conversions

Some details from a thread yesterday (it's about a 5spd conversion, but the points are still valid): http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=175841

And TLicense's 6spd conversion parts list: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=91861

You are missing the 6spd diff and driveshafts from your list. Those are the only "big" items missing, lots of smaller ones though :D

Is Paul going to get the single working properly as well, as it would be a shame to have the drivetrain and not have the power :)

i'm hoping so yeah. everything i can in one go to get it working up to a decent standard....ish lol

basically i just want it not to blow up, break down, or cause me any major problems. if i need to have anything major doing eg: like turbo replacement i'l just run it on no boost until i have the cash to sort it

Some details from a thread yesterday (it's about a 5spd conversion, but the points are still valid): http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=175841

And TLicense's 6spd conversion parts list: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=91861

You are missing the 6spd diff and driveshafts from your list. Those are the only "big" items missing, lots of smaller ones though :D

i was told by whifbitz that my "B" diff was ok to use. Drive shaft? thats a new one to add. i hardly understand a word of the 6spd conversion parts list lol. :)

i was told by whifbitz that my "B" diff was ok to use. Drive shaft? thats a new one to add. i hardly understand a word of the 6spd conversion parts list lol. :)

I might be way off here, but the it was my understanding that the 6spd prop is a different length to all others and therefore won't match up to the diffs in the small casings (NA and autoTT). If it's from an auto it'll be the smaller casing. Where was the B, at the start of the axle code or the end?

Its the same reason the driveshafts need changing with a 6spd diff, they are a different lenght as the diff is larger.

I might be way off here, but the it was my understanding that the 6spd prop is a different length to all others and therefore won't match up to the diffs in the small casings (NA and autoTT). If it's from an auto it'll be the smaller casing. Where was the B, at the start of the axle code or the end?

Its the same reason the driveshafts need changing with a 6spd diff, they are a different lenght as the diff is larger.

your probably right. just seem to be getting different conversion instructions from various sources at the moment. as long as i have the right parts before i take it there then i have no worries. the tran/axel number ends in a B. just whifbitz only seemed to ask me about the diff and didn't really give me much instruction of what to get. feel a bit lost

your probably right. just seem to be getting different conversion instructions from various sources at the moment. as long as i have the right parts before i take it there then i have no worries. the tran/axel number ends in a B. just whifbitz only seemed to ask me about the diff and didn't really give me much instruction of what to get. feel a bit lost

The B at the end only indicates it's an LSD diff, but that doesn't make it suitable for use with the 6spd prop.

As mentioned in the other thread, you can either swap the diff and driveshafts or get the prop cut, welded and balanced and use the auto LSD, but it will make a difference to gear ratios.

It's really advisable (ideal) to get the diff and driveshafts changed to 6spd items too, they are far stronger than the auto items, but the prop mod is always an option if you can't find a diff

sounds a bit involved cutting and welding. the place i'm getting my box from has got a whole supra man tt undamaged for breaking so i'l try and get the bits from them. they owe my a discount now cos of the agro with the box so i'l think i'l take advantage of it.

ok...

gearbox

clutch

slave cylinder

flywheel

propshaft

driveshafts

lsd

.... probably more lol

A lot more is needed, but if you're stripping one it's easy. Did you see the thread link in my first post here?

it didn't load at first but now i see. cheers. shit thats a lot of parts! hope the rest doesn't cost that much. this is going to be a laugh trying to negotiate these parts down the phone to the breaker lol. i dont know why whifbitz failed to mention this when i asked them what i needed.

Apart from then relatively high cost of the diff and shafts the rest is more or less useless stuff a breaker will never sell. I got my 5spd including the entire drivetrain and all other parts including an NA engine for £350. Bargain with them hard, they should chuck in most of the stuff for next to nothing as they'll never sell them otherwise.

Are you stripping the car youself or letting a yard do it?

There are a heck of a lot of bolts, etc that will be needed so it'd be best if you can get there are get the main parts yourself. Last thing you need is to miss a washer, etc. Any missing component will cause problems, delays and more expense to buy from Toyota.

Are you stripping the car youself or letting a yard do it?

There are a heck of a lot of bolts, etc that will be needed so it'd be best if you can get there are get the main parts yourself. Last thing you need is to miss a washer, etc. Any missing component will cause problems, delays and more expense to buy from Toyota.

well its from international car spares. up north so miles away from me unfortunatly but they sound pretty compitent in what they do. the whole car has just come to them and only the engine has been sold elsewhere. i'l speak to the guy tomorrow and explain the parts i need as he only knows about my original list so far. i'l see if he can send me everything and guarantee it.

You do not have to change the diff or shafts when converting an auto TT to six speed, unless you are concerned about economy. You can keep the rear part of the prop as well. My conversion has standard auto parts from the back forward to the centre of the prop. The big advantage of my setup is the improved acceleration due to the box/diff ratios. You have to trade off some top speed and fuel economy.

You don't need the front end of a manual prop either.Iif you can find a prop builder they willl cut weld and balnce your auto front end. We have a good prop builder locally, he made up a hybrid prop for our Skyline powered 200SX. They did an excellent job and balanced whole prop.

You do not have to change the diff or shafts when converting an auto TT to six speed, unless you are concerned about economy. You can keep the rear part of the prop as well. My conversion has standard auto parts from the back forward to the centre of the prop. The big advantage of my setup is the improved acceleration due to the box/diff ratios. You have to trade off some top speed and fuel economy.

You don't need the front end of a manual prop either.Iif you can find a prop builder they willl cut weld and balnce your auto front end. We have a good prop builder locally, he made up a hybrid prop for our Skyline powered 200SX. They did an excellent job and balanced whole prop.

its a 5 speed man to a 6spd conversion not an auto..unless it has the same parts...yhis is why i need to know every detail possible lol

Edited by supraspeed (see edit history)

Exactly Homer. I am still using the Auto LSD I fitted 6-7 years ago. I have put over 600bhp through it with some pretty violent torque gear changes too. I was originally going to try the Auto diff as an experiment, then put in the manual. I like the combined ratios so much am sticking with my auto based set up.

The lost top end speed is not really an issue as most cars will not get driven that fast anyway. It is hard for me to recall as I have got used to my new set up. But at a rough guess, you are looking at around 200 - 300 rpm higher ompared to a manual diff at the same speed as a manual. On the plus side you have the extra torque generated by those extra rpm hence the more rapid acceleration.

Edited by Terminator (see edit history)