The mkiv Supra Owners Club

engine rebuild and single conversions starting pics!

L33

a few pics from toyota gt

my engine had blown as you can see the melted piston!

the second supra i bought had bottom end problems

so the two have been stripped to make one decent engine.

a boost logic auto box with a 3800 high stall is replacing the standard auto box as im hoping for a target of 600bhp!

also on order are some wiseco forged pistons, hks 264 cams and a greddy emanage ultimate ecu. still looking for some 720 cc injectors

the single turbo spec is as follows

GT4088 single turbo

2 X Walbro fuel pumps

44mm Tial wastegate

Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator

Blitz boost controller

Blitz SUS power air filter

Boostlogic turbo oil feed

Custom downpipe

Custom intercooler pipework

3 core intercooler

Custom midpipe

Screamer pipe

Full braided fuel hose to either side of the fuel rail

HKS SSQ Blow off valve

Cold spark plugs

Polished cam covers

Power steering rad

Samco hoses

Sard speed cut defender

Toyota resistor pack

Transmission radiator

Upgraded breather system

Upgraded fuel filter

Veilside exhaust

XS power manifold

LSD

AEM Wideband O2 gauge

will post up pics as and when i get them!

all work is being carried out by toyota gt!

040.jpg

034.jpg

033.jpg

044.jpg

047.jpg

050.jpg

039.jpg

Questions on parts choice:

- Is the GT4088 a genuine UK garrett one or the diesel truck turbo that falls apart? Wouldn't want to touch one of those with a barge pole!

- Why a twin walbro setup? Unless you are running seriously high power one is enough, a twin setup is very difficult to do the right way (expensive too). My car had the results of a twin setup, all the wiring was near melted, it needs a complete rewire to make it work. A single walbro setup is tried and tested on anything T67 and smaller

- XS power manifold is a nightmare to fit and has reliabilty issues (as TGT will confrim), if you're doing a frsh build surely it's best to get a decent manifold in there now, rather than have to change it again in 18 months time?

- upraten fuel filter is not needed, but you didn't mention the pulsation damper removal

Not trying to be negative, just want to make some observations and comments now before you commit your hard earned cash.

Questions on parts choice:

- Is the GT4088 a genuine UK garrett one or the diesel truck turbo that falls apart? Wouldn't want to touch one of those with a barge pole!

hmmm did raise an eyebrow at this myself but hey different strokes and all that, my personal choice would be to get a smaller more reliable turbo that will get very close to the 600hp mark, there isnt really any room for using the 4088's extra head room as the auto box will go Kablamo past this point anyway so i cant see the point, the smaller turbo will avoid the lag as well and be a far nicer drive on an auto, on the walbro issue if you think you need two just buy one Bosch, simple

hmmm did raise an eyebrow at this myself but hey different strokes and all that, my personal choice would be to get a smaller more reliable turbo that will get very close to the 600hp mark, there isnt really any room for using the 4088's extra head room as the auto box will go Kablamo past this point anyway so i cant see the point, the smaller turbo will avoid the lag as well and be a far nicer drive on an auto, on the walbro issue if you think you need two just buy one Bosch, simple

Thats a couple of good points Paul and fully agree. Forgot about the stock auto box, it'd be far better to have a T61 sized turbo if it's going to be retained (along with a gear oil cooler or two). It's a bit of a waste to put a laggier turbo on and then run at low boost to save the box.

He lists a BL autobox, although from what ive heard they are not much stronger.

Ah, will teach me for not reading the post properly. They will have no problem with a much larger turbo provided they have a ton of coolers, just don't manual shift it :D Even stock turbo's will kill one with manual shifting.

Hi Lee

Sounds like it's going to be nice.

That melted piston was done on the way to the Southwest motor show last year wasn't it? Same piston (number 6) and same journey as I done mine.

yeh that one show took out 2 of ya real shame, hope this years doesn't have as many casulties and look forward to seeing the car lee at the next one.

wow lot of posts!

simple reason for the parts choosen is i bought a second supra with every thing on it that had bottom end issues and mine has the melted piston but im making one engine out the two then switching every thing onto my car.

the extra bits i have bought that was not on the car was the BL box, wiseco pistons, greddy emanage ultimate ands hks 264s

the car also came with a inlarged intake plenum and 90mm throttle body which were not using as it wasnt the best unit!

to be honest my knowledge of mechanics is very limited so im really putting my trust into TGT to help me get this right!

you say about the pumps but i guess if there already on the second supra then it should be set up with every thing to transfer to mine!

will soon have loads of parts for sale from the second supra i bought, which i plan to sell as a rolling shell and not strip it, just with out a engine! also bits from my car like polished turbo pipes, turbos ect

Fair enough :)

you say about the pumps but i guess if there already on the second supra then it should be set up with every thing to transfer to mine!

Don't count on it, it's almost never done properly. Just make sure you remind James the stock wiring isn't good enough for two pumps running flat out.

yea ive heard they are top blokes thats why ive travelled so far to take my cars there! dont trust many working on my car!

thanks for the advice homer i will let them know, they will hopefully read this and add some input to it all!

at first i was only hoping for 500bhp then they told me with the spec i have on the second supra its a better target to try and reach 600bhp!! who am i to refuse. they did mention down sizing turbo but not sure.

im not going to be drag racing or any thing of the sort, i just want to have a high bhp figure supra. always wanted to go a little "crazy" so this is my spirt :)

just hope it will be ready by japfest!

still trying to find some 720 cc injectors

Would 720cc injectors be big enough for bhp goal tho?

Why dont you sell the walbro's and get a bosch (£100)...futureproof it abit?

ryan G and TGT recommended 720cc not 800cc, so im taking there word.

i will ask about the pumps as so many have mentioned this now

cheers