The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto to Manual questions

chazuk

I just picked up a gz tt aero. I already have a full manual conversion from a 5spd na the parts I got are;

gearbox

propshaft

pedals

clutch master cylinder lines

Flywheel + clutch

tranny tunnel

clocks

rear diff lsd

What I need to know is if I fit this up to the tt lump, and later on if I got my hand on a 6spd box what would I need to change or will it just be the flywheel and clutch and it will bolt straight up using the existing conversion bits from the 5spd?.

Than the 6spd? If so, "pass that sh1t" ;)

It's been a long week already mate!! Just thought I'd remembered some gurus saying that in some ways the 5 speed box was, in some circumstances, a better pairing than the 6. Am prepared to be proved horribly wrong!

It's been a long week already mate!! Just thought I'd remembered some gurus saying that in some ways the 5 speed box was, in some circumstances, a better pairing than the 6. Am prepared to be proved horribly wrong!

Iirc thats true with the Mitsubishi Evo's. I'm almost positive the 5spd box on the V and the IV's etc was indestructable. When changed to a 6spd on the VII it wouldn't take that much more than the stock power. I could be missinformed though.

The 6spd box in the supra is much much stronger than the 5spd. The 5spd will fall to bits over 450. It has been said that any length of time over 400 will see it turn to mincemeat. I can't be sure of exact figures but i'm sure i've seen 800hp mentioned for the 6spd box, might even be more. It really is a cracking piece of kit that has been way way overengineered for its application. Thats why its so damn clunky lol.

You are horribly wrong :D

Chaz, I'll reply later when I have more time, provided no one has fully answered your question by then

The car is pretty much standard engine wise apart from a rsr cat back so I am sure the 5pd will last until I decide to start going for more power . What I do not want to do is convert it to a 5spd manual then when It comes to fitting a 6spd to handle the more power its more complicated than just bolting a 6spd box with a new clutch and flywheel.

Cheers Homer

You are horribly wrong :D

Chaz, I'll reply later when I have more time, provided no one has fully answered your question by then

I just picked up a gz tt aero. I already have a full manual conversion from a 5spd na the parts I got are;

gearbox

propshaft

pedals

clutch master cylinder lines

Flywheel + clutch

tranny tunnel

clocks

rear diff lsd

What I need to know is if I fit this up to the tt lump, and later on if I got my hand on a 6spd box what would I need to change or will it just be the flywheel and clutch and it will bolt straight up using the existing conversion bits from the 5spd?.

I think you've got it pretty much covered on the main items so will just mention some of the smaller things, I'm sure most of this is covered, but no harm in checking.

- Make sure you have the large mounting bracket and bolts for the clutch pedal

- Brake pedal and accelerator (accelerator is slightly different on the auto)

- Possibly the accelerator cable, I am not sure if they are different, but swapped it on mine

- Plastic accelerator stopper (otherwise you'll be pressing the kick down button on full throttle)

- 5spd gearbox mount

- gear stick, mounting bracket and seal + manual gear surround

- clutch slave cylinder (you'll ideally need to fabricate a support bracket for the joint on the line, it's not there on the auto)

- Bracket that secures the lower dash to the trans runnel (manual tunnel is higher)

- Bracket for the what I think is the ABS sensor underneath the ash tray for the same reason as above

The clutch and flywheel will need to be changed if you later go for a 6spd, as will the prop, diff and drive shafts. The gearbox is a different length. (Alternatively you could get the prop adjusted and use your current diff, but see below for implications).

One note on the diff choice as this will impact your current and future plans. Is the LSD diff you're using from an NA or an auto TT? The ratio on the auto LSD is much lower than the NA and as such will lengthen the gear ratios, making it slower to accelerate, but have a higher speed in each gear. This will mean if you go to a 6spd box and retain the auto LSD, the gear ratio's will be much longer. There's a great article by Alex in the FAQ section that shows all the ratio differences.

Thanks again Homer for the info I just saw the other thread about a conversion I am still in two minds what to do though, the lsd is from a manual 5spd.

No problem, just hope it was of help.

The NA LSD would actually make it a better car to drive in terms of gear ratio and performance, but is weaker so a potential point of failure, but I'm sure it'l be fine for a stock TT.

It's a very cost effective way of changing to a manual and a tiny fraction of the cost of the 6spd. If my conversion was broken down to components it'd have cost a total of around £200 for the parts and £70 for the fluids and service items. For a TT you only have to add the cost of the clutch and flywheel but they are available reasonably cheap 2nd hand if you look around.

I guess the same with ratios applies if you take a 6 speed NA with the v161 and the NA diff and put a TT lump in. Ideally you would want a TT diff in there if you were going to run it at BPU?

Yep, thats right. With the V161 you'd ideally need a 6spd diff in there to get the best performance from the engine. The NA diff would be a fair 2nd best and the auto the worse choice.

Ok. Will add one of those to the shopping list if all my plans come together :D

Otherwise ill run the NA one untill i can locate a 6speed TT one :)

That is assumeing the 5speed NA diff and the 6speed NA diff are different

I am pretty certain the 6speed N/A has the A02B diff which is the same as the TTAuto with LSD. There are two variants of diff for the 5 speed N/A

I am pretty certain the 6speed N/A has the A02B diff which is the same as the TTAuto with LSD. There are two variants of diff for the 5 speed N/A

The last one I looked at (98 NA v161) had an A01B diff, but thinking about it, the auto LSD might make more sense. I drove a 97 NA v161 a couple of years ago and remember the gears being very long (perhaps even longer than my TT v160). Hopefully someone can confirm.