The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is this a real facelift?

Guest bcs

Help!

I cant decipher what this car actually is. Hope I have given you all the right photos required (It's all Ive got)

Whats with the double button where the Trac is?

Cheers

Rich

Picture 442.jpg

Picture 487.jpg

Picture 503.jpg

Picture 510.jpg

Mine is a Facelift and the lights are black with chrome rings... so I'm saying not.

edit : Not that the reg is anything to go on, but Facelift started at 'P' - late 1996.

Yes this is what I dont get, its on the V5 as a 1994. Its only the interior that is saying facelift (I think)

And it has an airbag!

Yes this is what I dont get, its on the V5 as a 1994. Its only the interior that is saying facelift (I think)

I don't think it's difficult to convert the interior... the steering wheel, dials and the clock are basically the only difference.

Could it be two cars welded together? :D

the line between is very vague. If its a 96 they often came with non vvti engines as this was a 98 thing onwards i think. The interior is facelift. dials, clock and pannels.

The 2 buttons where the trac would normaly be is the active spoiler switch. Its just in a different place. Ive moved mine to be on the far left. Might just be the owners person preference of it being symetrical :p

You can check with the VIN number and it will give you the manufacture date.

I cant make out the frame number to do it for you. There is a excel document somewhere.

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)

I'm sure there's somewhere you can run the Chassis code through to check, but from the dash pic it looks like it is.

Three pod's with a boost thingy, lighter colour dash and carpet and electric mirrors. Not sure if it was standard for all facelifts, but mine had Snow mode on the trac too.

Why is it on an L plate though?

That VIN plate doesn't make sense according to the plate decoder and the rest of the car.

It has an ALP designation which indicates an auto

It has a v160 stamp which indicates a 6spd

It has a B03B axle stamp which indicates a 6spd early model

It has a 00**** chasis number which indicates pre-facelift

The interior shows a facelift dash

Headlights are pre-facelift

The VIN number shows a Sep 93 car, but the model number is wrong according to the decoder. Very strange that it has a facelift dash. Do you have any pics of the rest of the car? Can you also check the VIN stamped on the bulkhead?

A feature unlikely to have been altered in any way is the ABS.

Facelifts ABS controller/unit is in the same area (back right of the engine bay) as pre-facelifts but its a more simply looking 'cube' rotated at 45 degrees in respect of the side or front of the car, whereas the more complicated prefacelift unit is more a maze of pipes and is mounted more parallel to the side of the car.

(NB I'm 99% that all facelifts even the NA's had ABS)

To fit facelift dash panels and dials, the whole dash would need to be changed too. The mounts for the panels are different on a pre-facelift as are the connectors into the dial cluster, so that car must have had a complete dash board and loom!

Looking at that engine bay pics raises more questions.

- The front upper panel appears to be painted

- The front upper rad shroud has a section cracked off

- The stock battery stay is missing and has what appears to be a tie wrap holding the battery in

- The rad is missing the sealer strip

Also it has a GZ 4 spoke steering wheel.

Are there any signs it's had a front end smack at some point?

It could all be innocent and the previous owner did some strange mods on it, but on the whole it rings alarm bells. Where did you purchase the car from?

ALPQZ model code is produced from 93-05 - 95-05.

That frame number is sept 93 so not facelift.

Does the ad state facelift ?

Maybe someone fancied retro fitting the dash :search:

Edit: looking at that front panel it is awfully clean compared to the rest of the engine bay, a lick of paint perhaps ?

Edit 2: That model code is for an Auto !

Is this a car you own or (i hope) you were enquiring about buying.

Edited by colsoop (see edit history)

Whats with the double button where the Trac is?
It's from a VVTi, it has "Snow mode" as well "TRAC Off" on the same button.

the line between is very vague. If its a 96 they often came with non vvti engines as this was a 98 thing onwards i think.
1997 I think.

What about the gear knob? Does it look right?
Looks like one from a VVTi Tiptronic Supra.

where's the indicators on it? Are they square and under the front bumper and on the wing, or are they curved on the front bumper and also on side of the front bumper in a pointed shape?

Check my garage for pics of a facelift and compare...

That VIN plate also looks very clean...are the trim and colours right as well on the number?