The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RPS Street Max - dragging!

johnny g

Car is a 1998 VVTi TT6 - BPU.

Just had a brand new RPS Street Max clutch fitted yesterday. Old one was fine, but just beginning to slip, so I had it changed.

New clutch was fitted, and the bite point is VERY VERY low, i.e. put the car in gear and pedal needs

The gear change is very notchy and it's hard to get it in reverse.

Any ideas? It was fitted by a Toyota-trained mechanic (who now works for Lexus), and has worked on UK Spec Supra's before, so he does know what he's doing :)

He thinks it could be a faulty friction plate (I think he said).

Any ideas? Cheers.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Low on fluid? did you fit a new flywheel and release bearing? there is an adjustment nut on the back of the peddle.

All new hydraulic fluid in there Jamie, bled it all as well. New throwout bearing. Same standard flywheel though.

I'll check the pedal though, I never though there was an adjustment... daft sod I am :D

I have had that much trouble with them i won't supply them I'll fit customers own so long as they sign a disclaimer absolving me if it fails to release properly. It's no good lengthening the clutch pedal to master cylinder shaft until the cylinder is under hydraulic pressure and moving the slave and hence release bearing until it touches the cover's fingers. It MAY well give enough movement then to release better, but all you'll achieve long term is a worn out bearing and damaged fingers. There MUST BE free play in the pedal.

I have had that much trouble with them i won't supply them I'll fit customers own so long as they sign a disclaimer absolving me if it fails to release properly. It's no good lengthening the clutch pedal to master cylinder shaft until the cylinder is under hydraulic pressure and moving the slave and hence release bearing until it touches the cover's fingers. It MAY well give enough movement then to release better, but all you'll achieve long term is a worn out bearing and damaged fingers. There MUST BE free play in the pedal.

Hmm, doesn't sound too good - it's Simon who fitted it, Chris, the chap who was selling that Soarer. He mentioned the same about the pedal... I might try the adjustment for now and then speak to RPS about getting it swapped out.

Nothing's ever straight forward...

Here's what I sent them

Hi,

I've recently had Toyota fit one of your clutches to my car - the RPS Street Max. The clutch is not performing at all. The problems are:-

- Heavy pedal

- VERY low bite point

- Hard to get in gear

- Refuses (sometimes) to go into reverse.

- Dragging on the release.

I initially contacted the reseller, Velocity Performance, from the USA - who advised me to contact you direct. The release bearing was also renewed and all instructions were followed - parts used were Toyota OEM, purchased directly from Toyota.

The previous clutch was working fine, but was not suitable for the power I am aiming for.

Can you please advise on what to do next.

They came back with:

Hi,

Thank you for your email. The pedal is going to be a little stiff, but it should shift fine. When you say low bite, are talking about the point the clutch starts to engage? With the clutch all the way on the floor, the car still moves?

Kind regards,

RJ - RPS

My reply...

That's correct, on a flat, level surface in neutral, the car doesn't move. Put into first gear, foot on the floor and it's creeping forward, very slowly.

And their final reply, to date

Hi,

Has anyone tryed to adjust the pedal. Sometimes the pedal needs to be adjusted a little to get all the stroke out of the clutch.

Kind regards,

RJ - RPS

My final mail to date

The car is going back to Toyota to try this - but I'm not too impressed to be honest! There's lots of Supra's on mkivsupra.net who are having EXACTLY the same problem as me.

Regards,

Johnny

Not heard anymore since.

Just to add my 2p - I have the same clutch and seem to have the same problem, though possiblly not to the same extent. Car is fine but after spririted driving I am unable to select reverse (thanks guys who pushed my car for me at Llandow so I was pointed the right way :) ) and 1st is harder to select too.

Will go for another clutch next time :)