The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Polishing Intake/Plenum

dani_r

I've noticed that a few people have nicely polished parts in their engine bay. Being an NA owner there's not much around in terms of shiny parts, so I was wondering if anyone has tried to polish the plenum and throttle body for the NA?

Also, anyone know the best way to go about this to get it to the best possible standard? Tools needed etc..

Cheers :thumbs:

Dan

yplenum.jpg

This is something i've tried to do, first tried standard polish and that did nothing.

Then went round and nicked some of my dad's Alloy acid cleaner for his Jag and that took quite a bit of unwanted dirt off, made it look a hell of a lot nicer, however there are still a few bits that aren't perfect!

I know that's not a solution however is a quick fix for now until you can do it properly.

I think it's going to need something industrial and a polishing head on a grinder or something to get it nice and shiny! I'm sure there's a member on here who does polishing (?)

My m8 does professional polishing and uses machines like this, you have to linish the rough cast surface 1st before you even think about getting the chrome look shine on them.

Hard work without the right tools and not that easy with them ;)

He did my outer lips :) the 3rd pic is before he polished them and the second is before i changed my mind and went all black lol

pod5-pod10-stor.jpg

DSCF0504.JPG

DSCF0471.JPG

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

My m8 does professional polishing and uses machines like this, you have to linish the rough cast surface 1st before you even think about getting the chrome look shine on them.

Hard work without the right tools and not that easy with them ;)

He did my outer lips :) the 3rd pic is before he polished them and the second is before i changed my mind and went all black lol

I have access to one of those machines in the far left picture. Is there any chance I could get more info? :)

I have access to one of those machines in the far left picture. Is there any chance I could get more info? :)

Ask the guys where you have access to the machines might be a good start and if you do have a go yourself be carefull as these big mounted polishing wheels can bite and rip whatever your polishing out your hands.

Col, can I quiz you? What am I doing wrong? I've polished two items so far and they've both started to develop rust spots. As I understand it, all a polished metal surface should require is occasional wipe-over, polish, not a full abrasive strip-back.

I have a grinder mounted kit of various mops and abrasives/polish compounds, but I'm just not "cutting it" yet.

Col, can I quiz you? What am I doing wrong? I've polished two items so far and they've both started to develop rust spots. As I understand it, all a polished metal surface should require is occasional wipe-over, polish, not a full abrasive strip-back.

I have a grinder mounted kit of various mops and abrasives/polish compounds, but I'm just not "cutting it" yet.

What have you polished ?