The mkiv Supra Owners Club

question on oil psi

fruity_south

i have done a search and not found anything relavant to what im after knowing. have an oil psi and oil temp gauge fitted to a oil filter relocation kit. when i start the car up the oil psi shoots up to about 70-80psi . once its warmed up it rops to about 40psi. now the main question is whiles accelarating the psi is 40 - 50 but when slowing down the psi drops to between 0 and 15 psi is this right? was wondering if it has something to do with the return valve thing. i know its not a faulty sender unit or gauge was just wondering if anyone has any ideas what it could be or if this is infact ok for it to do. there is a very slight and i mean very slight oil leak round the sandwich plate that the senders attach to but i wouldnt of thought that would of made much difference would it?

We need to know precisely where your senders are fitted, first you mention that the sensors are fitted to a filter relocation kit, and then mention a sandwich plate??

There should be a constant rise and fall in pressure governed by RPM no sudden drops, but as i said it depends on where and how your relocation kit is set up, is there and oil cooler etc?

there is no cooler, the sanwich plate i refer to is part of the relocation kit, it has the two braided lines going into it and that is where the filter is connected to. the two senders are connected to that piece, which is where the charcoal connister use to be. it doesnt just drop it raises to 45-60 under acceleration and then when not accelerating glides down to between 0 and 10 psi. if i come to a stop it will slowly start to climb but climbs mainly under acceleration. almost like a rev counter to be honest. hope this makes sence

So you're saying your oil filter is right at the top of the engine bay:shock:

Oil pressure will naturally rise and fall with rpm from minimum 1.5 bar (25psi ?) at warm idle to a max of about 8 bar (115psi ?) at full power over 4k rpm. It should NEVER drop to 0 whereever your sensor is fitted.

Relocate your relocation kit to somewhere else.

Not 100% sure of my bar to psi conversion but should be close enough.

So you're saying your oil filter is right at the top of the engine bay:shock:

Oil pressure will naturally rise and fall with rpm from minimum 1.5 bar (25psi ?) at warm idle to a max of about 8 bar (115psi ?) at full power over 4k rpm. It should NEVER drop to 0 whereever your sensor is fitted.

Relocate your relocation kit to somewhere else.

Not 100% sure of my bar to psi conversion but should be close enough.

The hight of the filter head shouldn't make a difference mate as it should be under pressure all the time the engine is running.

The hight of the filter head shouldn't make a difference mate as it should be under pressure all the time the engine is running.

Only within limits. If you ask a centrifugal pump to pump alot of fluid up to a height ,the volume flow and pressure will drop proportional to the height. By itself it shouldn't cause a major problem, but this engine sounds like it suffers from low oil pressure anyway and the filter up there wont help.

no worries its all sorted now, next door naighbour (jap car builder) just glanced over it and said its not a problem, the gauge isnt a hundred percent accreate (sorry cant spell the word) and that it would give a better reading if connected to the sump or around that area. the oil leak is like a tear drop a day and said once its a lil warmer outside we will tighten the sender units up on the relocation kit to stop it.