The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which turbo's.....?

Suprash

Right the Supra is booked in for valve stem seals, and a head overhaul, also she is drinking a fair bit of oil now days, and I suspect once again the Hybrid turbo seals are leaking again, how bad Im not sure yet, but this is the 3rd time they have been rebuilt, and from what I can tell no one really gets any decent mileage out of them, so Im not going to pay for them again. If they are leaking and something needs to be done, I would rather go back to stock and just keep the boost up high, I dont want a single, no need, 400-450bhp is enough all day long and it what I want to try and get out of them, and I dont want the Supra off the road and the headache of all the post install niggles. Plus I havent got 8k or so throw at her for that, and Im not a believer of budget kits.

So stocks, Im VVT-i, will buy new, wanna run them at the top of their range, Jpsecs I know are ok at 1.3/1.4bar, but could I run UK's, and maybe run them slightly higher safely ?

Thoughts ?

j-specs should not run above 1.2 bar.

Before going single, I had my stock (euro-spec) turbos running 1.4 bar ... which was approx 420 bhp at a first guess (with e-manage, boost controller, FMIC, 550cc injectors).

They can be, just dont expect them to last 200,000 like you might get out of a set at stock boost, if I run Jspecs, I will run them 1.3 at a minimum, but I would like UK's at 1.4, maybe see how they go at 1.5 ?

personly i wouldnt run my uk turbos at 1.4 as a minimum. jspec i certainly wouldnt run above 1.2. Anyway i doubt you could feel the difference between 1.2 and 1.3 bar :p

Manifold holds it back dont it if I remember rightly, now thinking about it :( I wanna make 450-500bhp, maybe stocks at 1.2 and just feed it some No2, always fancied it and then up to 100bhp is easily more achievable, Im hatching a plan....lol

Anyone know what price a nitros kit goes for these days, with a progressive controller ?

Lol, yeah ;) But they can be swapped.......

Then a ecu to control the larger injectors? if fitting Nos it needs a lot of fuel run with it aswell, id only run it with a mappable ecu controling it.

May as well just bung that single on, if you dont go ott and use somebody that knows what they are doing to fit it then it should be fault free mate.

Then a ecu to control the larger injectors? if fitting Nos it needs a lot of fuel run with it aswell, id only run it with a mappable ecu controling it.

May as well just bung that single on, if you dont go ott and use somebody that knows what they are doing to fit it then it should be fault free mate.

Its the cost mate, I cant afford all the bits, turbo, ECU........

What about Jpecs at 1.2 with a 100 shot of nos, I dont need injectors at 1.2, Im running 1.2 and at the last dyno I was told they were about 92%, and the nos will have its own fuel feed. So have 1.2 for daily use and then some nitros for the spirited time, I still think the Supra engine is ok with 100 shot, I was running 100 shot on an NA and that didnt blink about it.....

agree on that ... but the crappy exchange rates does not work into the right direction :(

Exchange rate is getting better by the day at the moment, PHR street kit at todays exchange is £2441.45 granted you will have a bit of delivery and import tax on that but it still leaves plenty to finish the car as ash allready has walbro pump, fmic and a full decat hks exhaust.

Guys, I got 2-2.5k to play with, tops, and thats including getting my valve stem seal done and head overhauled, Im not bothered about having a very fast Supra, I just want it to be fast and not have to plough any time or money into her, my drifting is far exceeding in the time and money factor now and I just want the Supra reliable and quick.

Ian, so what is water injection used for then ?

Supra Matt, not got anywhere near £4,500, so binned ;)

Cashpoint, Hybrids always need rebuilding, some people get some decent mileage out of them, but most or majority dont, ask anyone with Hybrids, and even if they are holding now they will let go, speaking to a garage they said the Hybrids with the MR2 are the same, none never hold, it must be differences between the two units being built from production, and then when they are stripped by hand and messed about with. There is no easy answer to why, I have had all 3 rebuilt by different places and each time they let go, and the last wast Envy.

Bekei, no there is one aftermarket option for using big twins with the sequential setup, there was one company in the US that was supplying this kit on a basis that they did the install. Other then that yes, Hybrids are your only option.

Jamie, you know the stock clutch can hold a good amount.......

I have decided, I will go Jspec stocks, 1.3bar, after all I bet they will still seem twice more punchier then my leaking Hybrids at the moment. Aftermarket parts are just crap in all fairness, so Im going back to how Toyota intended.