The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HID issue

_Shane_

My driver side hid sometimes does not work, when you turn

on the lights at the night the passenger side lights no problem

and you can see the driver side just flicker (once) and no light.

Then after a few turns of the stalk it comes up.

Was just out there now and turned on the lights and the driver

side would not light for me :( tried it about 30 times as i was

coming home from town :(

any idea's what may be the problem lads ?

cheers

shane

well funny you should say that, i have a clifford alarm where i can turn my lights on but when i turn them on without using the stalk they flicker once then go off as your does, but when i actually get in the car and turn them on they work.

I put this down to the alarm not being able to power them so maybe you have a loose connection on the HID box.

I have a similar issue, although not quite as bad. Every now and again i'll turn my lights on and, like yourself, only one light will come on . I just need to turn it off and on again to get it up and running. Works every single time though, and i don't ned more than one go.

I have tried it a few times and each time the ballast has been doing the regular buzz but no light. I tried wiggling the connections etc but nothing works other than turning it off and then back on. I just put it down to a faulty relay or something within the ballast. Its as if it needs a charge to get it working so the off/on trick works for me just now.

HID ballasts need a minimum volts/amps to fire up the bulbs, if low then they will not light or may flicker. Usual culprit is a poor earth/bad connection, try connecting the ballast and bulb direct to the battery to test, if it lights okay then all is fine with the kit, fitting a relay feed direct to the battery would be the easiest fix.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Try using HID harness as Nic says. It happened to me with 2 out of 3 Supras, that HID was not getting enough current to light up. Harness is delivering power straight from battery so flicker problem is non existent (unless it is dodgy ballast as guys above suggesting).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HID-Relay-Harness-9005-9006-HID-Lightning-Headlamps_W0QQitemZ360127332028QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item360127332028&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Regards

Konrad