The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine management :(

SupraTRD83

when I turn the key to on position the engine managment light comes on in orange and then the car sometimes struggles to start sometimes cuts out and i have to start again. thought it just did it when cold but seems to be more regular now, plus when i start the engine even when hot it shoots up to 3k rpm but then i put it into drive and within 5 seconds its down to 700RPM, really confusing. plus the brakes seem to struggle to stop the car unless i really press hard for the first 1/2mins of my drive then there ok. really strange problems and all seem to begin at the start of the engine :(

Potentially, there's a few unrelated problems here, so let's separate them out. The engine warning light coming on is normal I think (it's a way of testing that the bulb still works: IIRC all the warning lights should come on when the key is at position 2). If the warning light goes off when the engine starts, that's normal. If you're still worried about the warning light, there's a simple test you can do to obtain any error codes the ECU has stored (just search for error codes on here). The ECU alerts the driver of a logged error code by illuminating this warning light, so that's why I'm suggesting it.

As for the problems with cutting out etc, I would reset the ECU (as this stores info about idle speed) and see if it still occurs.

It kind of sounds like a fuelling or breathing problem. Are any error codes logged? If there are none, I'd look at the air filter (make sure it's not clogged/knackered) and spark plugs. The plugs can often tell you if the engine's overfuelling and flooding itself.

Someone who knows more than me should be along soon..... :)

It kind of sounds like a fuelling or breathing problem. Are any error codes logged? If there are none, I'd look at the air filter (make sure it's not clogged/knackered) and spark plugs. The plugs can often tell you if the engine's overfuelling and flooding itself.

Someone who knows more than me should be along soon..... :)

its a bit strange, got the lovely red traiangle ! aswell in centre of dash. think thats just low oil, hoping a nice service will help