The mkiv Supra Owners Club

On the brink of falling out with the Supra

JamesF

Im on the brink of falling out with the Supra.

I had a blowout before Christmas, then decided to refurb my wheels cos I couldnt afford any better ones, then the heater matrix went on Christmas eve, so my money went on fixing that, then I get it fixed and buy a load of steering wheel adapters and quick release things and they're not the best quality and Im going to have to drill the holes out and re-tap them, and now the rear brakes are going and Ive got issues with my handbrake. And I still need to get an undertray, inner arch liner, radiator cover, fan cowl.

AND ITS ONLY A BLOODY N/A!!!

Im not going to be able to afford the wheels I want, I keep finding loads of alloys to fit an Evo in the style I want but they're not staggered and I dont want to use hubcentric spacers again. And to be honest its not mega fast when its running 100%

Im not saying Im tempted to sell up but Im getting nearer.....

ive had constant problems from day one with mine- i didn't buy the best example but because it was jap modded, nothing is ever simple. my car wont start for some reason now in the last 5 minutes even though i started it up 15min ago! always something wrong and i'm thinking about selling mine in the future if problems continue :(

Im on the brink of falling out with the Supra.

I had a blowout before Christmas, then decided to refurb my wheels cos I couldnt afford any better ones, then the heater matrix went on Christmas eve, so my money went on fixing that, then I get it fixed and buy a load of steering wheel adapters and quick release things and they're not the best quality and Im going to have to drill the holes out and re-tap them, and now the rear brakes are going and Ive got issues with my handbrake. And I still need to get an undertray, inner arch liner, radiator cover, fan cowl.

AND ITS ONLY A BLOODY N/A!!!

Im not going to be able to afford the wheels I want, I keep finding loads of alloys to fit an Evo in the style I want but they're not staggered and I dont want to use hubcentric spacers again. And to be honest its not mega fast when its running 100%

Im not saying Im tempted to sell up but Im getting nearer.....

Still, you've got your health? :D Right?? :blink:

Owning these old cars is always going to be costly im afraid, prevention is better than cure so cars that havent been properly looked after by previous owners are going to be even more costly :(

Have you tried the breakers yards for the arch liner, fan cowel etc

Whats up with your brakes ?

I made my own spigot rings out of HE 15 aluminium alloy, there a very good fit on the hub and in the wheel, had no problems in several years with 19 x 10 fronts and 11.5 x 19 rears, steer clear of the plastic type though.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

I made my own spigot rings out of HE 15 aluminium alloy, there a very good fit on the hub and in the wheel, had no problems in several years with 19 x 10 fronts and 11.5 x 19 rears, steer clear of the plastic type though.

What offsets are those monsters and how does it handle?

ive had constant problems from day one with mine- i didn't buy the best example but because it was jap modded, nothing is ever simple. my car wont start for some reason now in the last 5 minutes even though i started it up 15min ago! always something wrong and i'm thinking about selling mine in the future if problems continue :(

And i thought supras were reliable !!!!

Mines never really missed a beat. The odd issue, such as new front pads required and a broken rear shocker, but other than that its only engine service items such as plugs and oil that ive had to change in 2 years.

It starts every time, and if the N/A engine breaks badly, there are loads about for sod all money, so i cant believe so many people seem to be having problems.

What offsets are those monsters and how does it handle?

I'd have to check on offsets

Im very happy with the handling but it has had all new suspension ( shocks, springs, wishbones etc etc ) followed by a full geo at Center Gravity :)

And i thought supras were reliable !!!!

Mines never really missed a beat. The odd issue, such as new front pads required and a broken rear shocker, but other than that its only engine service items such as plugs and oil that ive had to change in 2 years.

It starts every time, and if the N/A engine breaks badly, there are loads about for sod all money, so i cant believe so many people seem to be having problems.

They are reliable untill you factor in how old there getting along with previous owners who skimp on looking after there car.

Guest dangerousandy

I go through stages like this with my Supra.... it has been advertised quite a few times!!!! But at the moment, she seems to be behaving herself as much as I can expect from a 15 year old motor with 160k on the clock. Will need some new rear tyres very soon............ do'h!

Agree with all of the others.Stick it out.My turbos went,was fleeced for £2.5k. Went again.Repaired properly this time.Went again, and again and again and again and again and yes again.Leaks at the sump,this seal,that seal.My head was bloody coming off!More off the road than on.After a total of about £5k,at least, spent on repairs,honest,]It was the oil pump buggering everything up(apart from the turbos being knackered)Now replaced,now at one with my Supe.Rise above the advertisy,stay calm,let your bank balance flow(to zero),let Zen be all and with all;and all will be yours.This is truth Grasshopper.You will be broke, your woman will have long gone,your head will see nothing but gaskets,con rods,pistons,oil seals,compressor wheels,little whirling lights and many,many other things.But happiness will surround you.Fullfilment will engulf you;Supra Nirvana will be yours.The Light,the light will embrace you:)