The mkiv Supra Owners Club

APs / Brembos - why are Brembos so expensive?

Ark

I've been looking at brake upgrades for this years trackday season and have boiled it down to AP 6-pots or Brembo 6-pots...except that the Brembos will cost more than £700 more than the APs. Even downgrading to Brembo 4-pots (not monoblock callipers) will cost more than £300 more than the APs.

So, why are they so much more expensive? Would I really notice any difference, given that APs are generally considered to be "the b0ll0cks"?

So, why are they so much more expensive? Would I really notice any difference, given that APs are generally considered to be "the b0ll0cks"?

I'd prefer the APs myself I think. Where are you looking at getting them from? Last time I looked the APs were pretty much the same price, at least the bigger 6 pot APs were, but that was a while ago.

What brakes do you have atm, wouldn`t uk`s with decent pads etc be up to it?

UKs with Endless pads and 5.1 fluid. They work, but I keep warping the disks. If I use a stronger disk, I boil the fluid. If I use a softer pad, I melt them instead...I just want it stronger all round...

UKs with Endless pads and 5.1 fluid. They work, but I keep warping the disks. If I use a stronger disk, I boil the fluid. If I use a softer pad, I melt them instead...I just want it stronger all round...

Most juddering or so called 'Warping' is nearly always down to some other factor such as rust (between disk and hub), pads not bedded, wrong pads, hubs damaged etc

Once any of these outside influences are employed your disk is only a small step away from being scrap!! :( as DTV takes over and starts a very damaging process :rolleyes:

http://www.powerbrake.co.za/downloads/tech_01_judder.pdf

This is worth a look see

Edited by rick001 (see edit history)

Warping is caused by uneven heating or cooling of the disks. Ie the area thatis covered by the caliper when stationary cools at a different rate to the section not covered. This difference leads to warping.

I believe this is only part of the story. This doesn't explain why you can start a braking manouvre with good pedal feel and end it with the pedal trying to kick your knee into your teeth. Sometimes the discs are 'warped' from cold but othertimes they require a good heating before they exhibit ill signs.

However it is caused UK brakes cannot withstand repeated braking manouvres without fading the pads (fast road) and 'warping' the discs. If you use racing pads the discs will still 'warp', but the pads are capable of grinding them true again with persistence. This unfortunately comes at the expense of wheel and paintwork finish.

This is my experience anyway.

Most juddering or so called 'Warping' is nearly always down to some other factor such as rust (between disk and hub), pads not bedded, wrong pads, hubs damaged etc

Once any of these outside influences are employed your disk is only a small step away from being scrap!! :( as DTV takes over and starts a very damaging process :rolleyes:

http://www.powerbrake.co.za/downloads/tech_01_judder.pdf

This is worth a look see

Thanks for that, very interesting and well worth reading

Thanks for that, very interesting and well worth reading

Agreed - good article. DTC cause no. 4 is the problem I have repeatedly seen with my discs. Have never seen an image showing the effects of a thick/thin disc before, but it matches mine.

Fast road pads exceed 610degC, so you will have this problem if you continue to run the brakes on their limit.

Still waiting for specifics from Mr Rick001...

They don't list the Supra on their website (unlike other mighty titans of the motoring world, like the Vauxhall Astra)

Rob the sales guy is pulling together a price but he is telling me it will prob be have to be at least 5 kits for a run so when i get the info i will need to talk to Mawby ;) about a group buy as a one off for you guys

That reads very much like "contrary to my earlier post, we don't actually have a Supra kit, off the shelf"...

While I'm keen to see how this comes together, I'm still dubious about what is essentially going to be a custom build, due to the inevitable support issues that life's just too short for me to fuss with...

Please tell me I'm wrong, and why.

Alcon have produced a big brake kit for years :eyebrows: - obviously they wont/ carry stock if it has not been requested for a while which in this case they have not im told - but they do produce them and very quickly but, its a non stock item and to run just 1/2 kits would not be very viable so he is sorting out a costing for a run of 5 :)

UK, CCX, DBA discs and fresh (changed regular too) dot 4 was great for me.

Here's the thing - last time I bought DBA disks and Endless pads, it cost me nearly £800. Seriously, it's not a huge jump from that cost, to the price of a full kit...