The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wet track tyres

pedrosixfour

Hey y'all,

I've done a search on this already but with no real joy.

I'm looking for opinions on what would be a good track day tyre if

the track happens to be appreciably wet.

I realise the subject of track tyres has been done to death and

I'm confident that I could choose a good set-up for dry

conditions but seeing as I dwell in Ireland I imagine a good wet

set-up would be as important.

Is it a simple case of buying a set of quality road tyres with good

characteristics in the wet?

The car is specificly for track use so I would like both set-ups to

maximise its potential regardless of what the weather is doing.

Thanks in advance for your input

Pedro.

I imagine it would be hard to spec a tyre that uses the potential fully in both wet and dry conditions, it would be a bit of a compromise.

No mate, my plan would be to have two different tyre/wheel set-

ups, one for dry conditions and one for wet. I'm just wondering

can anyone shed some light on what would be a good tyre choice

for my wet set!

I normally use my road tyres on a wet track which are p-zero rosso`s, i find them a great road/wet tyre, but i have considered picking up a set of wet race tyres as i think they would work better and are cheaper.

So what apart from price is the difference between a wet race tyre and a good road tyre?

Is it illegal to use wet race tyres on public roads?

They`re alot softer so get hotter= more grip,

Not road legal, unless E marked.

Cool, thanks mate.

I might be forced to stick with road legal rubber if I want to compete in the Time Attack series in Mondello. However should I decide thats just too many organs to be selling on the black market I'll definitely have to enquire somewhere about proper race rubber.

I did see a lot of good reports about F1's when I was doing some searching alright. I know tyre preference is very individual but these tyres appear to have quite a following in supra circles

My ideal Supra setup so far has been Toyo R888s on the back (275) and F1s on the front (235). That's for dry driving.

For wet, I've found F1s all round and a 265 rear to be the best setup. The car actually retains some grip, rather than just skating over the track. Don't expect full traction, but I've had a LOT worse using different brands.

No mate, my plan would be to have two different tyre/wheel set-

ups, one for dry conditions and one for wet. I'm just wondering

can anyone shed some light on what would be a good tyre choice

for my wet set!

I don't know what ireland is like for tyres from race cars but i bought a set of secondhand slicks from a touring car for £150 for the set they also had wet weather tyres too.

You could get a couple of sets.

Although with race tyres they will have inters and full wets, you couldn't exactly come along with a trailer full of tyres :D

I don't know what ireland is like for tyres from race cars but i bought a set of secondhand slicks from a touring car for £150 for the set they also had wet weather tyres too.

You could get a couple of sets.

Although with race tyres they will have inters and full wets, you couldn't exactly come along with a trailer full of tyres :D

Tell me about it, I'm starting to think a pit crew might be in order, anyone know of a grease monkey goin cheap??

I may enquire with a few of the tyre depots around and see whats what. I was offered part worn 16" road tyres for nothin if they suited by one already, maybe I could hit him for sponsorship:sly:. I dont know if the offer still stands now that I'm goin to 17's. Still nothin ventured etc, etc.