The mkiv Supra Owners Club

DSK

Justa quick hello (i'm sure you get lots of newbies). I have had a MK3 Supra Turbo auto several years ago, since then just onwed a range of Japanese & German Sports cars. Currently drive a 97' BMW E36 328i coupe (looking to change) and a Volvo C70 T5 GT.

I am looking to change my lovely daily runaround BMW E36 328i coupe for something else. Having owned an M5 and 328i, I was thinking of going back to a Japanese car for a change. I am seriously considering a Toyota Supra TT, but these days there are next to no UK models ever for sale. Seen a few Jap imports. (Always had genuine UK cars in the past for Japanese sports cars).

Just a couple of quick questions regarding these cars;

1. Are the 1998/1999 cars (which I assume are all imports from what I have seen) with the manumatic gearboxes 4 speed (like the 1994/95 TT models) or 5/6 speed?

2. Are the auto gearboxes in general robust?

3. In the auto's, at 90mph what revs are TT models pulling?

4. Having onwed an M5 and grunty cars in the past, I know such cars are not designed for economy. However what sort of MPG and miles to a tank can I expect from general dirivng, tootling during commuting with the occasional heavy twitch of the right foot? (its just nice to know what one can expect).

5. IIRC Jap import TT models had different turbos that were not supposed to be as strong as the UK spec cars. Are these really an issue to be aware of when buying?

6. Are parts easy enough to get hold of if the car is an import?

Edited by DSK (see edit history)

Hi ?

First of all welcome to the club :D.

In answer to your questions:-

1. You can get both.

2. Yes, I have an auto and it has been BPU'ed so running around 370 rwhp and from what I have read on here a standard auto box is good up to around 550 hp.

3. In mine, at 90, on the flat about 2800 - 3000 rpm.

4. I get around 18 - 20 mpg around town and about 250 per 3/4 tank (always fill up at 1/4 left). If you play a lot with a heavy right foot and the car has been modded then you can use some serious fuel.

5. I have a UK spec car so it has steel turbines and J spec cars have ceramic ones. Steel ones are more robust but the ceramic ones spool up a bit quicker, there generally isn't any issues with either, both are good.

6. There does not seem to be any problem getting hold of either new OEM or good second hand spares from this site.

And finally though I have answered your questions I am not a car boff, thats just what I have found. This club and its forum's are one of the best out there, all the info you will ever need on a Mk IV Supra is here, especially if you are a paid up member.

Have a look at the classified adds on this forum to see whats for sale, everything from 230 to 650 BHP.

Go on, go on, go on, GET ONE

All the best.

Bob. :D :d :D

Hi ?

First of all welcome to the club :D.

In answer to your questions:-

1. You can get both.

2. Yes, I have an auto and it has been BPU'ed so running around 370 rwhp and from what I have read on here a standard auto box is good up to around 550 hp.

3. In mine, at 90, on the flat about 2800 - 3000 rpm.

4. I get around 18 - 20 mpg around town and about 250 per 3/4 tank (always fill up at 1/4 left). If you play a lot with a heavy right foot and the car has been modded then you can use some serious fuel.

5. I have a UK spec car so it has steel turbines and J spec cars have ceramic ones. Steel ones are more robust but the ceramic ones spool up a bit quicker, there generally isn't any issues with either, both are good.

6. There does not seem to be any problem getting hold of either new OEM or good second hand spares from this site.

And finally though I have answered your questions I am not a car boff, thats just what I have found. This club and its forum's are one of the best out there, all the info you will ever need on a Mk IV Supra is here, especially if you are a paid up member.

Have a look at the classified adds on this forum to see whats for sale, everything from 230 to 650 BHP.

Go on, go on, go on, GET ONE

All the best.

Bob. :D :d :D

Good post bob:)