The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Knowledge of the MKIV Supra...

Fitz

Just been thinking recently about how if I've ever had a problem with my Supra, within around 10 mins I'll have a good response back suggesting solutions (maybe a few witty remarks ;)).

What I'm wondering is where does everybody get there knowledge about the supra....or cars in general from?

Did many of you learn just by doing or watching others do? Do you have experience with cars in general? Or maybe there are guides you read which helped you (i.e. manuals).

Just a thought, I'm interested to know as I'd like to broaden my knowledge of my car...and well cars in general really. Maybe one day I can give some helpful advice :D

Cheers,

Cliff

My first jap car was an rx7. You'll learn a lot about cars and engines after having one of them I can assure you :lol:

Well lots about spirograph engines that is :p

As others have said i knew nothing about supras really when i bought mine 3 years ago. Gained allot of knowledge gained when modifying or fault finding.

I'm hoping I'll be around for a good while :) I'm on my first supra. Picked up a bit of knowledge from some nice members on here.

Great post btw. Capital letters, punctuation and paragraphs. That's becoming a very rare thing on here :D

Lol, Thanks for the comment Tony. I do try to keep my post's in English. :)

I have been tinkering with cars since I was 8 years old. I use to strip and rebuild my old bike engines several time a year. I learned buy watching my day, keeping an old Morris 8 on the road. I was lapping valves at the age of 9.

To get up to speed with maintaining a MKIV, a full set of repair manuals is a good starting point. As are the tech guides on this site. When you consider MKIV sites world wide, there must be advice on just about everything to do with the car. Asking the right questions and getting answers from more experience members, will make doing things much easier. Sometimes incorrect advice is lobbed into threads by people who think they know what they are talking about.

I've got most of my knowledge of supras by hanging around on here. I try to absorb the technical stuff like a sponge, just in case I need it one day.

I absolutely agree with comments that over time, you get to know who are the people that know what they're talking about, and who are the ones that think they know what they're talking about! :)

I bought a set of supra workshop manuals several years ago (from one of CJ's print runs, not the useless ebay £2 jobs). The manuals are worthwhile in the right hands, but are a bit too advanced for me. I'm used to Haynes (i.e. photos!).

Edited by stevie_b (see edit history)