The mkiv Supra Owners Club

So which supra should i buy

Guest Phil Howard

Guest Phil Howard

ABOUT TO BUY MY FIRST SUPRA. THIS WILL BE THE THIRD CAR IN THE HOUSEHOLD, MY WEEKEND TOY, SO MILEAGE WILL BE LOW AND THE ROADS WILL BE THE NORTHUMBERIAN NORTH PENNINE COUNTRY ROADS.

QUESTION IS, WHICH ONE SHOULD I GO FOR.

I'D LOVE TO CHOOSE BETWEEN A UK SPEC TT MANUAL, OR A GZ AERO. THE AERO'S ARE ALL AUTO RIGHT, AM I MISSING THE POINT BUT WHY WOULD YOU WANT AN AUTO SPORTS CAR (I'M WILLING TO BE CORRECTED ON THIS POINT, THERE DOES SEEM TO BE A LOT OF AUTO SUPRAS OUT THERE). THAT SAID, THE AEROS DO LOOK GREAT.

THEN THERE'S THE QUESTION OF PRICE. I'VE SEEN A LOT OF WHAT SEEM TO BE SR-Z AEROS FOR SALE AROUND OR JUST BELOW THE £5k MARK. THE SZ-R AERO'S ARE ALL N/A RIGHT? DO YOU NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE GZ (280BHP?) AERO AND THE SZ-R (220BHP?) N/A AERO? BUT THE MANUAL UK SPEC TT ARE PRICED AT £10K UPWARDS (I EVEN SAW ONE PRICED AT SOMETHING LIKE £23k, WOW, GOOD LUCK TO THAT SELLER, MUST BE ONE CAR THAT ONE). ARE THEY WORTH THE EXTRA OUTLAY? AND AGAIN, DO YOU NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE DROPPING DOWN FROM A 320BHP MANUAL TO SAY THE JP TURBOS AT 280BHP OR THE N/A AT 220BHP?

WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE THE ADVICE OF THE WISE ON THIS ONE. CHEERS.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never driven an N/A, but then I wouldn't want to either - I have a feeling it would be a big let-down. Basically, to my mind, it would be a car that looks like a sports car, but doesn't go like one. I'm with you on the automatic gearbox thing, too - proper drivers have proper gearboxes, not go-karts, you know?

So, for what it's worth, I would personaly go for a twin turbo manual (like I have...). Also, I'm not a big fan of the aero-top, but if that's your thing...

As for the Jap vs UK thing, I guess that's got quite a lot to do with what's available at the time and how much you're willing to search/have to spend. Either way, it should be a lot of fun!

Welcome, by the way.

I think the TTs are noticeably faster than the NAs - I've had both. If that's important to you, there is no point in buying an NA. On the other hand, I'd question the statement that an NA "looks like a sports car but doesn't go like one" since I don't think NA or TT is particularly a sports car. They are GT.

Oh - and caps lock is on the left hand side of your keyboard. ;)

It's a wierd thing driving an NA. 6 Months ago, I was of the opinion that the car was as slow as sh!t and I wanted a TT conversion......;)

I went out in it the other night for the first time in a while and it made me wonder when and where I would need the extra power?? It terrified me on a twisty stretch (although I was a little reckless).

I think I will still go TT but it has caused me a few doubts. My advice would be to drive a couple of each and then make your mind up based on that..!!

Oh, Welcome BTW!!

H.

At the point the second turbo cuts in, I think I can predict what he'll decide.

I have never sampled this phenomenon Dave. I imagine when I do, I will edit the above post where I talked shite!!:D

I do love my NA though. I wonder if shelling out 3k for a conversion would be a waste of money fro someone like me who only drives the car once a month or so......:blink::(

H.

I have never sampled this phenomenon Dave. I imagine when I do, I will edit the above post where I talked $#@!e!!:D

I do love my NA though. I wonder if shelling out 3k for a conversion would be a waste of money fro someone like me who only drives the car once a month or so......:blink::(

H.

Have you ever been in a tt?

I have never sampled this phenomenon Dave. I imagine when I do, I will edit the above post where I talked $#@!e!!:D

H.

I remember test driving my TT, on a dual carriageway. I was thinking "Yeah, this is pretty good actually" and was about to change up a gear, when the second turbo kicked in.

That was the point the car was sold.

I'd question the statement that an NA "looks like a sports car but doesn't go like one" since I don't think NA or TT is particularly a sports car. They are GT.;)

Okay... Looks like a GT car but doesn't go like one. We're splitting hairs here! The point is, I imagine the N/As to be basically pretending to be something they're not.

Okay... Looks like a GT car but doesn't go like one. We're splitting hairs here! The point is, I imagine the N/As to be basically pretending to be something they're not.

I find my NA pretty adequate. If anything, I'd say the TT pretends to be something it's not. Goes like a sports car in a straight line, but too fat to go round corners properly. :p

Ah....

I am on the lookout for a N/A just now, and have test driven a few.... I wouldn't say that they were any slouch! 0-60 in 6.1 secs is pretty quick for a car that weighs as much as a Supra does, even in todays fast paced world of modern cars.

As for the driving / sports car aspect - coming 'on boost' mid way round a corner isn't always as much fun as people may make it out to be! lol

I agree, the TT is a fantastic car, but I wouldn't rule out the idea of a N/A if it is someone looking for a 'sporty' drive and still have the stunning looks of the Supra.

P.S. - If you want full on power and constant fun - - - - buy my GTR!! :)

Have you ever been in a tt?

Yes, on boost.......no!!:blink:

Would you mind if I took exception to that remark.

A car is how you see it, the day I start taking other peoples opinions on my pride and joy will be a poor one!!

H.

Ah....

I am on the lookout for a N/A just now, and have test driven a few.... I wouldn't say that they were any slouch! 0-60 in 6.1 secs is pretty quick for a car that weighs as much as a Supra does, even in todays fast paced world of modern cars.

As for the driving / sports car aspect - coming 'on boost' mid way round a corner isn't always as much fun as people may make it out to be! lol

I agree, the TT is a fantastic car, but I wouldn't rule out the idea of a N/A if it is someone looking for a 'sporty' drive and still have the stunning looks of the Supra.

P.S. - If you want full on power and constant fun - - - - buy my GTR!! :)

Ah, you emailed me about my Supra ad on pistonheads.

Where is your car advertised?

Ok lets try and put this simply...

UK manuals are very rare, hence the price.

As said you can ignore the 280 figure. It was an agreement between the japanese car manufacturers, Stock jspec cars have dyno'd at 320bhp.

Supras are GT cars not sports cars hence the large number of Auto's.

Dont underestimate or rule out the auto. The people who do are generaly the ones who have never driven one.

The supra's auto box was very very good back in the day and its probably still better than 90% of the autos on the roads today.

You can still shift the gears manualy with the auto box. But personaly i dont see the point.

Dont underestimate the NA. They are still 7 or so secs to 60 i believe.

But you will see the difference between the two.

From the outside and the inside the NA and the TT look exactly the same untill you open the bonnet.

Ive had a manual NA and a UK spec TT auto. I by far prefer the relaxed driving in town and wherever i go in the country of the auto. i can concentrate on what im doing rather than changing geer.

Um, i think i covered everything.

dont ignore the tt auto take one out of a drive you will love it.

Ok lets try and put this simply...

UK manuals are very rare, hence the price.

As said you can ignore the 280 figure. It was an agreement between the japanese car manufacturers, Stock jspec cars have dyno'd at 320bhp.

Supras are GT cars not sports cars hence the large number of Auto's.

Dont underestimate or rule out the auto. The people who do are generaly the ones who have never driven one.

The supra's auto box was very very good back in the day and its probably still better than 90% of the autos on the roads today.

You can still shift the gears manualy with the auto box. But personaly i dont see the point.

Dont underestimate the NA. They are still 7 or so secs to 60 i believe.

But you will see the difference between the two.

From the outside and the inside the NA and the TT look exactly the same untill you open the bonnet.

Ive had a manual NA and a UK spec TT auto. I by far prefer the relaxed driving in town and wherever i go in the country of the auto. i can concentrate on what im doing rather than changing geer.

Um, i think i covered everything.

This could be made some kind of sticky :)

Far from it. When i was selling my NA and i also had my TT i would take the NA out down the shops every week or so and each time i was driving it it made me go "Blimey, not as shabby as i had thaught"

Guest Phil Howard

FOUND THE caps lock.

So, in summary. I take a couple out for a test drive, and then buy the manual TT?

Oh, and there's not much between a JP spec'd TT and a UK one. Right?

Great. Thanks. I think I'll start looking for some JP spec TTs then. What's a good price for one of these at the moment?

Ah, you emailed me about my Supra ad on pistonheads.

Where is your car advertised?

Not advertised it as yet... waiting for it to emerge from the garage having its new engine dropped in!

Should (using that word very loosly haha) be ready by next week then I will get some new photos and info on the new engine (exactmileage - though I belive it is 28k) and then stick it up on PH.