The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Matt h supra repair "build"

michel lane

Well i guess everyone has been waiting for this thread to appear regarding the re-build of Matts car. We received the car in november last year to diagnose and carry out the repair of his car. I know matt has spent a considerable amount of money on this car to get it working to a reasonable condition for use.

After inspecting the car when it came of the trailer, we noticed the rear water pipe that feed turbo's was not connected. The pipe looked like it had come of from the metal fitment, there was no jubliee clips attached to it at all. Then we continued to inspect most of the engine bay. At this point Ian and Myself were horrified on the workmanship on the install of this engine. Every connector had been broken on the harness, the injector clips were held on using heatglue, the temp sensor unit on the water neck were wires that were tide together and heat glue applied to it. We remove the cam cover and found that every coil pack was not secured in place with the screws or bolts.

They were loose, some had self tamping screws fasten the coilpack down to the head !!!.... At this point we new that trying to fix this car was going to be a complete clean slate, as we were pretty sure the engine had been running dry for a while,we examined the radiator and found little water, the sender unit for the water temp had wire wraped around it from the main loom and heat glue applied. The car had stood still for around 2 hours whilst we went for food, after coming back there had developed a puddle of oil below the engine. It was Transmision fluid. We decided to fill the car up with water , secure all the water pipes in place and attempted to start her.

After a few cranks, she started and ran very lumpy, non of the guages inside the car had been connected, Wideband , boost, egt . We pulled the gauages out and found to our suprise that there were no wires attached to them. Then we looked in the engine bay, and there was no sensors. Guess they were a new form of gauges that used wireless connection ?????..... Well the car warmed up and we noticed steam started coming out of the side of the engine , there was a large water leak from the rear and also oil was dripping from the block. So we turned it off and began the process of pulling the engine out. After several days, we had completely stripped the block.

We sent it to the machine shop to get new pistons fitted and machine work done to it. The engineering firm contacted ourselves a few days later and informed us that the block had a hairline fracture and the head that we also sent was warped and needed skimming a great deal to a point were it may be scrapped.

We had stripped the turbo's for matt to sell on, but after examining them, found that they had about 1mm of lateral play and when you spun them , they caught the housing. They were standard jspec turbos with ceramic blades. After informing Matt of this, he told us these turbo's were hybrids, i think people have so many variations to the concept "hybrids". Well unfortunately his block was unusable , head warped and turbo's scrapped.

Remembering this, he has recently spent a great deal of money on the car. The pistons that we pulled out of the cars had det marks on them , which showed under fueling. The installation of the engine, who ever put it together, they should have been shoot, the simplest thing such a coilpacks fasteners were not even done correctly , jubliee clips for the water lines were non exsistant and heat glue / super glue. I know that its not the policy for people to slander various organisations for there workmanship, but after seeing this car arrive, iam suprised its lasted this long. I have enclosed various pictures for your entertainment.

The gearbox speed sensor had been broken , so the numnut decided to glue it together, The selector switch for the gearbox at the side, which needed a gasket to stop the oil from escaping, had none. hence gearbox oil running down it. I have included some picts of the new engine with new pistons and rods, the head is due to go on the car this week, so we can show you the manifold and turbo. Hopefully the wiring inside the cabin wont be as bad. We are currently trying to source some new connectors for the wiring loom , as every connector is broken and heat glued on .

I know i keep mentioning "heat glue" , but what happens when "heat glue" get warm .........IT MELTS .... so the connectors become unplugged.... Well i give you updates and a weekly report and pictures of this build. Hope this will resolve all of Matts issues with this rather nice looking car.

DSC02248.JPG

DSC02247.JPG

DSC01995.JPG

DSC01988.JPG

DSC01992.JPG

DSC01095.JPG

DSC02251.JPG

DSC02250.JPG

DSC02249.JPG

DSC02253.JPG

DSC02252.JPG

Edited by michel lane (see edit history)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unbelievable that someone could try and get away with this level of workmanship, absolutely appalling. At least it's in good hands now for a full rebuild and diag, after reading the previous threads there was never going to be any other option really.

Who was the original firm that did the work on the car?

Good to see the car being sorted :) Its been very quite round here without Matt :innocent:

Unbelievable that someone could try and get away with this level of workmanship, absolutely appalling. At least it's in good hands now for a full rebuild and diag, after reading the previous threads there was never going to be any other option really.

Hyper sports and racing :taped:

This is why the only person that works on my car other than me is Michel!

Turbofit then Hyper SR. We had the car briefly and made a start on things, but for whatever reason Matt and I didn't quite see eye to eye. But it was clear that a lot of work needs to go into this car.

Regardless of which, I'm glad it's now in capable hands until such time as it's finished. All the best chaps :)

The worse thing is, which ever the company is, should they really be let loose on other people's car with this sort of workmanship, Matt's not a mechanic, so if he inspec's a car , he doesnt know whats right or wrong. I know everyone makes errors but when it comes down to the most simplest things such as injector clips and coilpack fasteners, thats just "COWBOY" iam not suprised he has had so much problems with this car. I know that when we finish it , there will be the boost pipe poping off , water leak. But thats why you have to make sure you check it over before releasing it to the client.

Edited by michel lane (see edit history)

Thanks for posting up. Believe it or not I often wondered what happened to Matt's car.

I really hope it goes smoothly for you this time Matt. You deserve a break!

A quick question, why were some of these big problems not picked up when the car was at AFR?

That car was a fire waiting to happen. I cannot believe that garages like that are still trading.

I hope it all gets sorted and there are no more hidden problems, and if you decide to take action against the formentioned garages, that you get some results.

So he was aware of the problems and drove the car anyway?

Yeah, and I beleive we all called him stupid when he fist posted about it. All because he wanted to go to the Ace Cafe meet.

He hasn't done himself any favours by being impatient; hopefully, this time he will have the sense to wait until ALL the work is done, not scrimp on anything and finally have a reliable car.