The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newbie - looking to downsize to a Supra ;o)

gordy.r

Hi there all,

Well i've been a member on this forum for a while but i've never actually owned a Supra....

Previous cars include a mk1 Toyota MR2, a mk2 Toyota MR2 GT Turbo T-bar and my current set of of wheels is a Nissan Skyline R33 GTR V-spec.

Unfortunately due to a few nigglyproblems I had with the Skyline (main bearings went on engine lol) I am thinking of changing my car.

The Skyline has only done 44k miles and is in fantastic condition! It is in the process of getting a new 28k mile engine fitted with ACL race bearings, uprated crank, rods etc and has 2 brand new Garret GT2860 ball bearing turbos and Apexi PFC.

The list of mods is endless, but I will entertain any serious buyers if interested via PM.

Basically I am on the look out for a Toyota Supra SZ / SZ-R (manual) now as I fancy a little change. I no longer require to travel from 0-60 in 4 seconds and find myself doing long motorway journeys these days.

To that end I have one or two questions.... (and yes I have used the search tool, but I am pretty rubbish and only returned 1 or 2 results - and i'm sorry as I know these questions will have been asked before) :imnew:

1. How much does it take to fill the tank of an SZ from empty?

2. How many miles do you see from a full tank?

Basically, I know that you do not buy these car for their fuel consumption, but I would at least like to know what sort of bills I can expect driving a 900 mile round trip every second weekend!

In my MR2 Turbo I used to be looking at about £70-£80 each way, In the Skyline it's closer to £120-£130 each way!!! :cry:

So I am just after the knowledge of those thathave actually done some long distance journeys in their Supra's to give me some advice.

Also I have seen that the SZ comes in either 5 or 6 speed (is this correct or just mis-leading advertisements) and I was wondering if this had any affect on fuel consumption as will the introduction of the new vvt-i engine?

Well, hopefully I can get my car sold to someone who is willing to use it a little more than I do just now and then pick myself up a nice little Supra for posing on the motorway haha!

(Before all the TT lovers start telling me how the fuel consumption is not that much different in a TT than a n/a... I know, i've done my research, but I wouldn't be able to hold back knowing that those twin puppies were just sitting there, your trying to convert the converted, I have a 450+bhp GTR lol!) :salute:

I will hopefully in the future should I pick up a decent SZ, look down the line of a transplant + possible stroker kit (and I know it's cheaper to buy a TT out right, but I would have at least 2 years history and work on the current car so would feel happier converting it, also I would probably try and source a rebuilt + uprated engine for the swap).

Well thanks anyways, and sorry if I appear to have written War & Peace here.

Hopefully see some of you around

Gordy !:D

P.S.... a photo of the offending item : -

1648572509a7178818560l.jpg

Welcome aboard.

I'd expect fuel costs to be the same as, if not a little more than the Skyline numbers you have quoted unless you drive like an old lady.

I haven't driven mine for so long that I can't even remember how many miles it does to a tank but it wasn't many :)

:welcome: fellow taxi owner :)

I'm sure you'll find a very nice NA on here.

Out of interest how much power did you have on the RB26 when it went?

Was anything wrong with it, considering it had only done 44k miles and running 450bhp(+)?

Not too sure to be honest, no dyno's etc to prove (all on the guesso-dyno) but I believe the previous owner in Japland had bolted on some big turbos and choose to wind the boost up to silly levels.

This I only discovered when piston 6 decided to throw a wobbly.

Then there was a rebuild (under warranty) and then the bearings began to go (beleive the rebuild was poor).

It's now being re-done by a well known garage (The Garage) in Motherwell with a new engine which has been pressure tested and uprated in the UK by a company called Mr Engine.net

I would love to keep the car, but needs must and I think the novelty has worn off now.

I love the TT Supra and I know that good mpg is achievable, I just want something that will be a little cheaper to insure, run and maintain for the next year or so.

I do love the look of the Supra though, such a lovely car indeed!

Also meant to say, the previous engine had a steel head gasket, forged internals, race pistons uprated fuel pump and was running about 1.2bar of boost :)

Apexi PFC

Decatted titanium Fujitsubo exhaust

Twin HKS induction elbows with K&N filters

HKS boost controller

HKS turbo timer (with a Jap woman that speaks to you - uber cool haha)

Rota GTR 18" alloys

Bilstien coilovers

All the usual V-spec upgrades

Brembo brakes

etc etc...

Edited by gordy.r (see edit history)

(Before all the TT lovers start telling me how the fuel consumption is not that much different in a TT than a n/a... I know, i've done my research, but I wouldn't be able to hold back knowing that those twin puppies were just sitting there, your trying to convert the converted, I have a 450+bhp GTR lol!) :salute:

Preaching to the converted isn't it? ;)

Nice looking GTR you have there! Any more pics? :D

My mate and I both have MK2 MR2s, mine's an n/a and his is a tubby. We found that fuel consumption on motorways was exactly the same... I'd imagine Supras would show a similar trend... And you KNOW you'd get frustrated with the lack of boost ;)

Good luck with your search for a Supe anyway, and welcome :)

I'd like to achieve somewhere around the £10 mark for it....

I know you can pick up a 1995 R33 GTR with 50k miles on it for £8k, but this is in cracking condition, has a new 28k mile engine with a 6 month warranty, and the work has been carried out by a well known Skyline Tuning centre.

It's a 1996 'N' reg, all details listed in previous post, only thing I forgot was that it has Khumo tyres 255/40/18 all round.

Some more piccies.....

:)

Oh, also forgot - it comes with all the original GTR matts and carpets front and rear!

1648572509a7178813999l.jpg

1648572509a7178814041l.jpg

1648572509a7178835373l.jpg

1648572509a7178844781l.jpg

1648572509a7178844800l.jpg

Understandable :)

Out of interest, you can get a good nick TT supe for say 7k, where would you say the extra grand or two goes with the liner?

I have no idea....

Suppose having the Hicas system and the varying 4 wheel drive is a bonus, I have never owned a car that feels so planted on the road. It is such a confident road holder.

But it does like to drink the old juice!!! Even motorway cruising can turn into a re-mortgage situation lol

Understandable :)

Out of interest, you can get a good nick TT supe for say 7k, where would you say the extra grand or two goes with the liner?

Ahem, it's a Skyline.

That's a Liner... (Ford SkylineR) :D

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/ford-fairlane/images/ford-fairlane-skyliner-1957a.jpg