The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Thanks - True owners club spirit

supra_aero

Had a great evening at the ace cafe today.

However on the way home the car kept overheating :(

AdnanShah and his friend together with M5W TT were luckily driving in front in convoy and made the effort of stopping and helping me out, not once but twice on my way home on this wet and cold night.

Spending over 45 mins helping diagnose the problem and helping me get home by topping up the radiator with water/coolant (turned out to be a split radiator hose for those who are interested).

Really could not echo my thanks enough, I really do appreciate it. Top men. I'd have had to resort to the AA and wait ages in this cold evening otherwise and have them potentially send a tow truck and who knows what else.

Again thanks very much, an asset to this club.

Thanks very much.

:thumbs:

We are hero's!!! WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Any time charles! thing is the car was leaking from three places, (facing the car engine) at the bottom towards the left, the bottom along the centre and bottom at the front. anyways we went together and got back together, cant leave a supra hanging. filled it up a few times with water but it boiled a whole 5/6 litres within 15minutes of 7 miles 50 mph driving.

got damn cold and wet though but the steam gushing out of the engine warmed us up!

No wii fit :(

I honestly feel bad and guilty, they even refused to take my money for the volvic water. I owe you all a drink.

Really appreciate it once again.

come on man, you were stressed enough over the car dont worry about it. atleast we got it home in one piece and no serious damage was done. ;)

was filthy, the one to the left of mine but he got it washed! looked different trust me! lol hes got a new rad cap on it which Mike thought was a bit ko'd but wasnt 100% sure...

Ah yes, that was the one, just spotted the garage pics!

Was the rad cap an aftermarket 1.3bar one or stock?

really cant remember Darryl, it had some blue stickers on it and no im pretty sure it wasnt stock, but we had tissues and cloth covering it most of the time, it was seriously buring hot, couldn't touch it until we had loosened it and let all the pressure and steam get out. his cars an NA auto if that helps and was definately leaking from the bottom left side, thats were all the steam was gushing out from.

Edited by adnanshah247 (see edit history)

Non stock then.. It's been brought up a few times but perhaps not as well know as it should be, but there's quite a few (mainly Ryan) finding that the aftermarket rad caps with higher pressure rating are casuing major cooling problems on all supras. The pressure in the cooling system is raised which is causing older, weaker pipes to burst and in many cases signs of the upper rad plastic cracking (new rad time). In the last couple of years there were well over 10 people that had rad issues after changing to 1.3 bar rad caps (normally TRD ones).

Just out of interest, are all the problems with these aftermarket rad caps happening with standard rads?

I for one will be checking the various hoses etc on the cooling system on a more regular basis.

Yes, it's those with standard rads. Though there is a suspision it's helped a couple of heater matrix failures and potentially HG's too. Many of the cars that have had those had 1.3 bar or aftermarket rad caps installed in the previous year.

I thought the whole point of high pressure caps was to prevent damage like this? On the one hand, i'd like to change back to standard to avoid this, but I have a water cooled turbo fitted which will surely raise the operating temps?

A high pressure rad cap will promote damage like that, not prevent it. The turbo water cooling won't make any difference with the water pressure, the water cooling is only there to help cool the bearings once the engine is on run down or turned off. The flow is small anyway.

Sorry, I didn't explain myself very well. I thought the whole point of high pressure caps was to drop the operating temperature. Surely the DBB turbo must raise the temperature of the cooling system to an extent?

Ah, gotcha :) My understanding was that it allows better heat extraction from hot points on the engine block, but not a lower operating temperature overall (that’s controlled by the thermostat and your radiator efficiency). It essentially forces your radiator to do more work to extract heat, hence the potential for finding weak points in the cooling system.

The DBB does raise the temperature of the water heating initially (massive difference in the warm up time on mine when going from TT to a dbb single), but it shouldn't effect the overall water temp provided the rad is up to the job (and a stock one can do it absolutely fine provided it's sealed correctly)

My understanding was that it allows better heat extraction from hot points on the engine block, but not a lower operating temperature overall

Ah, is that because of increased circulation in the system? That must be a benefit as far as cylinders 5&6 are concerned?

(Sorry for bugging you with these questions at this late hour, and thanks for your help :D )