The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Front bumper clearance with splitter/active spoiler

Guigsy

Just as i mentioned it in another thread...

Today my active spoiler bit the dust after bening pounded over speedbumps and curbs in carparks.

Now ive taken it off and one day (dont have the money at the moment) im thinking of replacing it with one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170294239658&ssPageName=ADME:B:FSEL:GB:1123

Now my car with the active spoiler and then the black pastic bit on the bumper ment it only had a few CM of clearance. The above when you fit it looks like you remove the black bit of plastic. If so how much clearance will i get? Im guessing more than with the active spoiler. Anyone have one fitted and can give me some guidance? they look similar to me.

Compared to

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=9326&d=1193750385

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)

Ask Jevansio. He had the active spoiler before and recently changed it for a carbon fibre lip. I think he said there was a bit more clearance now.

My active spoiler catches all the time but it is fairly forgiving, and if it looks too high then i put it up. Thats the magic of the active spoiler :)

My active spoiler catches all the time but it is fairly forgiving, and if it looks too high then i put it up. Thats the magic of the active spoiler :)

Well thats the thing. With my intercooler it means there isnt enough space for it to go up and down.

I didnt mind going over bumps and things before as yes it does give. But i guess ive been over so many that its slowly pulled the other black plastic bit at the bottom of the bumper out of its mounting holes and broken them.

On top of that my active spoiler is worn down (from hitting the road) so that the little notches in it are about half the height on the edge. So even if i do manage to reattach it all, the actual bit of plastic is worn and looks a bit crap.

I asked toyota how much a new one costs (not thinking it was much for a bit of plastic). I had a heart attack! More than a new glass headlight! £400+.

And nobody has any 2nd hand.:search:

The active spoiler should retrack once you're below 60 or something mph for a certain number of seconds, was it not "active" ?

The Greddy lip is actually lower than the active spoiler, but it doesn't catch so much as it doesn't stick out so far in front. The amount the front sticks out is the real issue with all bumpers, it's one reason why the do-luck is such a scuff magnet, it protudes about 6 inches further than the stock front.

they arnt ajustable as far as i know. Just eibach lowering springs. The rest is stock uk spec

It doesnt catch on anything with the active spoiler removed. but i loved the active spoiler :(

Edit - no its not active because the intercooler was in the way. of the mechanism

Edit - no its not active because the intercooler was in the way. of the mechanism

Ah, that old issue :(

I wouldn't recommend a TT without an active front spoiler, especially if you like to use the power ;) They are really not stable at high speed without it.

The greddy lip is a nice option, it's a bit lower but as mentioned, tucked in so won't catch as much. I think the one in the pic is a modified one with the side bits cut out (Far nicer and very common mod in the US). It will also help the front down force, though not quite as well as the active spoiler.

Another option is the Whifbitz lower lip, it's very similar looking but a few mm less deep. Once I get round to bodywork on my car it'll be treated to one.

To be honest i dont do more than outside lane motorway speeds anyway. Does it make a big difference at that speed on the motorway?

Nope, not at legal speeds. With the stock front and no active spoiler I found it noticable on A/B roads around 100mph, but once speeds get up (120+mph) it was very light on the front, especially over less flat road surfaces. Dangerously so (yeah I know, before anyone says it :D )

Ask Jevansio. He had the active spoiler before and recently changed it for a carbon fibre lip. I think he said there was a bit more clearance now.

Guigsy, I would say there is slightly more clearance with my new carbon lip, but as James has said I doubt it is very flexible if you say lift the front end on country roads then it comes slamming down.

I haven't caught mine though, although I have been wary that it's on and have slowed for sharp rises/drops accordingly.