The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MOT test to fail noisy cars

formatzero

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone heard of new mot legislation that will fail any car with a noisy exhaust ? dont know what decibel level constitutes noisy but this came from a guy who works in a testing station.Also talk of the boys in blue having a gun to register noise levels, is it all a wind up :(

it wouldn't suprise me in the least, they seem to think these things up all the time. This months practical performce car has an article about the new SVA replacement and its along the same lines, try and ban anything thats fast or fun, or in our case both.

Guest banjo_bob
I'd love to know how they can enforce that.

It's nothing new, been out years. Quite easy to tell the difference between stock exhaust noise and some after market rocket launching ear bleeder.

this is the point i tried to say last time

but apparently the cops can do whatever they like regards to the sound being too noisey

What a load of rubbish!

You do raise an important point though. Having a loud exhaust could be a public order offence, but only in exceptional circumstances. I don't think an MOT tester has a leg to stand on in this case.

I'll probably be proved wrong, but anything that isn't specifically laid out can be mis-interpretted, and hence isn't a viable law.

Guest banjo_bob

I'll probably be proved wrong, but anything that isn't specifically laid out can be mis-interpretted, and hence isn't a viable law.

Most of the MOT test doesn't have specific limits and is down to the interpretation of the tester.

While there isn't a specific limit set for exhaust noise, those that choose to modify their cars are still within grasp of passing the test. You bring in limits, which the way things are heading for the modified car scene, nothing but a stock system would pass as you can bet your last pound it'd be set low.

...anything that isn't specifically laid out can be mis-interpreted, and hence isn't a viable law.
Where have you been for the last 10 years? :)

This government specializes in legislation which isn't specifically laid out and is open to interpretation.

Section 59, ASBOs......

Where have you been for the last 10 years? :)

This government specializes in legislation which isn't specifically laid out and is open to interpretation.

Section 59, ASBOs......

Oh I've been here...

What do ASBOs have to do with it? They are a civil matter anyway which means they need a completely different standard of proof (on the balance of probabilities rather than beyond a reasonable doubt). That arguement isn't valid in this case IMO.

Oh I've been here...

What do ASBOs have to do with it? They are a civil matter anyway which means they need a completely different standard of proof (on the balance of probabilities rather than beyond a reasonable doubt). That arguement isn't valid in this case IMO.

Just to add... if the government don't have specific guidelines then they are open to defeat in a court of law. That's been shown time and time again, hence the word precedent.