The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Headlight replacement

Kaamos

Hi all

This is my first post here and I'm already looking for some help haha.

I'll have to change the headlights on my -not-imported-yet rhd supra to meet the needs of french homologation.... Alright I can buy the parts on some websites around but I wonder if I'll have to have the work done by a dealer or is it something one can do himself ?

Is it like changing from plastic to glass headlights or are there some "traps" I'm not aware of ?

Any adivce welcome.....

3 bolts to undo (take the air filter lid off and remove battery if you need the room) unplug the bulb and wiggle the lights out of the mountings. 2 minute job.

I dont think he means taking the headlights out, i think he means the process they have to do to change the headlight beems so they are legal in france. Ive never seen it done so would have no idea how to do it.

Yes it's VERY expensive.... Dodgyrog, yes this is what I was thinking , like order them from suprastore or something and do the work myself but I don't know what has to be replaced actually, only the glass-cap and the reflector, or also the bulbs, perhaps the motors... and no-one has been able to tell me so far :(

Perhaps suprasteveo will know, thank you m45sey !

...and do the work myself but I don't know what has to be replaced actually, only the glass-cap and the reflector, or also the bulbs, perhaps the motors... and no-one has been able to tell me so far :(

Perhaps suprasteveo will know, thank you m45sey !

3 bolts to undo (take the air filter lid off and remove battery if you need the room) unplug the bulb and wiggle the lights out of the mountings. 2 minute job.

As Jay says. You simply replace the entire headlight units, no need to pull them apart or anything complex like that. Just need to get the right bulbs, as the old light fitments are likely to be different to the US/EU lights, eg H4 instead of 9006 etc.

Easy-peasy Kaamos, don't worry so much.

Ok so If i got iy right all I have to di is take the whole unit out , buy LHD units (cap + reflector facing the opposite way) and get new bulbs to fit in 'cause the plugs may be different ? (sorry for my awkward vocabulary, I'm just a French trying to do his best ;)

Ok so If i got iy right all I have to di is take the whole unit out , buy LHD units (cap + reflector facing the opposite way) and get new bulbs to fit in 'cause the plugs may be different ? (sorry for my awkward vocabulary, I'm just a French trying to do his best ;)

No worries, your English is better than some locals!

Spot on. The 'cap' and 'reflector' is one piece. Let us know how you get on with your order from the US.

• 4 weeks later...

Little bump to this topic : I was about to order a set of euro-headlight (the glass ones) so that the beams will face the correct direction when driving in France, and now I'm told by the dealer (suprastore, not to name it) that the headlights are the same for rhd and lhd cars... I thought I had understood that I'd have to change them, and now I'm getting lost again :(

Little bump to this topic : I was about to order a set of euro-headlight (the glass ones) so that the beams will face the correct direction when driving in France, and now I'm told by the dealer (suprastore, not to name it) that the headlights are the same for rhd and lhd cars... I thought I had understood that I'd have to change them, and now I'm getting lost again :(

definitley different mate. They are wrong.