The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fiberglass repair

scooby_doo_do

I think this is one for Dude, but i'm sure some of the old timers will know a little bit about patching up holes on rusty old cars :-)

.. My old Le mans chariot has got a hole underneath the accelerator pedle. My BMW has just been sitting on the drive now for over 6 months and it still started first time and passed its mot :) (not bad for a 1984 525e :eek: )

Anyway.. back to the story. I filed down the hole and cleaned up the rust as best i could, then used some wire mesh with lots of that fiberglass stuff that is sticky as hell and goes everywhere to fill up the gap. I plan to then use a can of underseal stuff i bought to cover it up. But....

Can you sand the fiberglass down to get rid of the sharp pointy bits that are left or will it just break up ? And do i have to do anything else to it ?

Thanks.

I believe that you can rub sand paper against fibreglass once its dry up. Although i have not done may fibreglass work but i remember helping my friend building his bass box and gauge pod with some MDF and fibreglass.

Works fine, very dusty :cool: make sure you dont over sand it and your wire mesh felt on the floor though.

good luck :D

Cool, Sanded all the sticky out bits off and then decided to underseal it...

Only, i found out that the underseal spray is a complete nightmare, especially when the winds blowing at you and the stuff goes all over the place.. Covered head to toe in black gunky stuff that doesn't wash off..... Nice....

Anyway,

All sorted now and the bmw has no more "cough" noticeable holes!

Errr.yea, Forgot about the mask... But was outside and standing an arms length away...

As for the MOT situation, its got nearly 10 months left..... You can't tell the diffference now its all undersealed. All in all it looks ok.... Best not accelerate too much though as the pedle might go through the floor..

Only need the car to get us to le mans and back.... Hopefully not a problem :thumbs:

I would of tried to weld it, but i have no welding tools and haven't got the fogiest how to weld....I'd prob set the car on fire or something ...

Ta chaps..

Craig.