The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Would You Risk It??

Havard

Hi,

Got the Supra started tonight after the battery has been dead for a couple of weeks. The car last had a decent run on the 28th December (40 miles ish). Since then it has been sat on my drive, I turned it over a couple of times but it did sound to be struggling when I turned the key. It has only done a ten mile run since and the battery was dead a day or so later....:rolleyes:

After a week or so of being dead I decided that today I would get it started by borrowing one of my mates booster thingies and the car fired first time. It has been on a trickle charge for the last two hours. I am playing football in Manchester tonight and I have to drop off a letter in Warrington on the way (45 Mile run).

What are the odds of the car starting when I come out of the football an hour after the 45 mile run??:D I need to get this car running over winter or it is going to die.....:( I think that the battery is ok generally it's the weeks of sitting on the drive that are causing the issues?

Is there anything I can do except disconnecting the battery to save it's charge??

I am going to take it for a spin but I have a feeling that I'll be ringing the AA at 9.45 tonight!!

H.

I had a similar problem. Got AA homestart out and it turned out to be a siezed altenator. I had left it a good few weeks and after jumping it, sounded like it was really struggling and idling very low. He managed to fix it with 2mins of spanner work. I got a new battery now and all is well. From now on, even if i dont drive it, gonna turn it on every few days to prevent that happening.

The car is working fine, no dimming of the lights. I am just debating leaving the car on trickle charge outside or should I take the battery off completely and charge it in the house??

It's been raining and showing all day today so I don't fancy having those wires under my bonnet overnight?

What happens when you disconnect the battery besides re-setting the ECU? My stereo isn't coded so I can't see any other problems?

(Danno, the Mondeo is no longer with me!!)

H.

After my little problem before Christmas I realised too damn late that I hadn't started the car in about 3 weeks. When I went to start her the alarms went off and everything just died. Yep, completely flat battery. :(

I took the battery off and brought it indoors to recharge for 24 hours or so (yes yes, I know you're not supposed to do it indoors).

Touch wood, everythings fine now and it gets started every 2 days. I actually went for a drive on Friday too. :)

Well...!!

The car started after footie and all was well. Did a full lap of the M60 tonight just to give her a run out. It had been snowing here but about 10 miles away, there was no trace of snow, just rain!!

On the M61 on the way back I decided to stretch her legs a wee bit........straight into an ungritted stretch of motorway where it must have been snowing for a while......:blink::( She was all over the place.....:D As I neared home the snow was really bad and I had to spin her all the way up the hill or I would have been fubared.....:rolleyes:

I'll have to keep her running regularly now as it's a real PITA not being able to move her when needed!!

All in all, a good night, scored a few at footie too.....:p

H.

Update!!

Ok then. Charged the battery for 2 hours and went for a really long run on monday..!!

The car hasn't been used until tonight and the battery is dead again. I am going to put it on charge all day tomorrow but I would imagine that the battery is fubar......:(

In reality the car only did a 45 minute run and then a 15 minute run on monday but surely this would have fully charged the battery??

H.