The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hello from a newbie

Gough

Evening everyone! :)

I've been reading through these excellent forums for a while now and thought it was about time I introduced myself. So greetings to all! I've been thinking about buying a supra (TT) for a few months now and will very shortly be looking to buy :thumbs: Unfortunately I haven't driven or even been driven in a supra yet :( but have viewed a few examples at car imports direct in bristol. I had planned to go to JIC but I hear that they are no longer in business. . Any reccommendations for dealers in the Bristol or Hertfordshire area?

I'm looking to spend somewhere between £10k- £13k ish. Would a good aero top be out of my price range? Initially was after a manual but they seem to cost significantly more than autos. Would I get a better (condition/mileage) auto for my money than an equivalent 6 speed? How do you rate the autobox on the TT supra? Do they offer as much control as the 6 speed?

One last question; there are plenty of j-specs out there, and UK cars seem rare in comparison. What worries me is that there seems to be no way that you can obtain proof of servicing for many of these j-spec cars: For example how can you tell whether or not the recently imported J-spec with 50,000 miles on the forecourt has had its oil changes at the correct intervals??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and I hope all the questions aren't too tedious.

Kind regards,

Joe

ps: I'd very much like to join your club, but not sure who to write my £10 cheque out to or where to send it :conf:

Welcome Gough , thats part of the induction test (being able to pay the £10) .

Go and look at a few sups or check out the meetings section for an event near you , if im going to one you are welcome to a go and a drive of mine , i much prefer the Auto over the 6 speed and personally i prefer the J-spec over the UK :) , as regards the servicing id say 'buy it with your eyes' , its normally esasy to spot a well looked after and loved car , try and drive a few but you will not be dissapointed whatever you buy , an Aero is within reach of your budget as there were 2 for sale for that sort of money last year !!!, Good hunting may see you around .

Dude:flame Dev

Thanks for the warm welcome, and thanks for the info Dude. I'm gonna aim for a J-spec, preferably in GZ trim. Would £13K get me a good sub 50k miles example? I've seen a few examples for sale around this price point, but would it be wiser to hold out for a post facelift car for a bit more cash?

One other thing... where do you park your supras at night? Are they easy targets for car theives? Can't get access to a garage unfortunately :(

Any further advice greatly appreciated!

Joe :)

Originally posted by Gough

Thanks for the warm welcome, and thanks for the info Dude. I'm gonna aim for a J-spec, preferably in GZ trim. Would £13K get me a good sub 50k miles example? I've seen a few examples for sale around this price point, but would it be wiser to hold out for a post facelift car for a bit more cash?

One other thing... where do you park your supras at night? Are they easy targets for car theives? Can't get access to a garage unfortunately :(

Any further advice greatly appreciated!

Ello :D Welcome Aboard :)

13k would probably get you an Aero, but they are very rare in TT guise so don't come up for sale that often. Mileage may be over 50k though. In all honesty these engines are fine on higher miles so don't let that put you off. Facelift or none is up to you, but IMHO theres not many significant changes (except the VVTI engine later on, which is a little harder to tune) so I wouldn't be put off by either. Basically, if you find a car you like, buy it ;) :)

Mines parked on a drive in a council/ex council estate and its been fine so far :) I find a lot of people have a fair bit of respect for the Supe, much more so than my old impreza, so tend to leave them alone.......

Happy hunting!

Thanks Neil, its good news that supras are respected, I was thinking I might have to get pentagon to install some smash-proof window glass and a removable steering wheel otherwise! (I don't live in the best of areas at the mo)

I'd love to come to the Gloucester meet on the 28th, but unfortunately i'll be in hertfordshire that weekend :(

Keep the words of wisdom coming!

Welcome aboard :) You might find a few of your questions answered in my sig.

13k should get you an aerotop, but they are quite rare (only approx. 350 odd in RHD in the world). You might want to keep an eye on this thread though... http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17330

Alternatively, Newera have what looks/sounds like a nice Supra for sale at the moment. Check my sig for the link - about half way down their list of current cars IIRC.

hi

there is a what looks like a very nice veilsde kit auro top in the back of jap performance this month also try mr2-direct-imorts.co.uk. He has a few and not to fare from you. I bought my supra from newera awson car had to go for the maual though. I also find people love the cars rather then damage them. People often say nice car.

CJ, thats most kind of you! I live in Filton at the mo. It would be great to meet up this wednesday if thats ok? I live in Filton at the mo, but name a time and place and I'll be there. Perhaps you could send me one of those private mesage thingies if this is ok? :thumbs:

Tom, I think I know about that black TT aertop in the trader, I'm fairly sure I saw it at a car show at Harpenden, seem to remember it having those rather nice Lexus GS wheels. Very very nice. Noly thing is I wouldn't feel confident buying such a car without an expert alongside (and that doesn't mean a bloke from the AA!)

Afennel, good to hear supras are loved rather than loathed! I see you sourced your car through Newera- did you rate their service? I've got the 'Skylines and Skyscrapers' DVD from them, which makes for good viewing, but I still have doubts about ordering a car I haven't driven, from someone I haven't ever met.

Edited to add- Dave/200sx boy, those links on your sig are very handy!

Kind regards

If you are worried about security talk to Matt Harwood he will sort you out with the best your money will buy and he knows MKIV inside out.

As for miles there is a UK on 300000 plus still going strong with just the usuals changed brakes and a few ancillaries. The engine has never needed attention. Go for 3000 mile oil changes and the engine will go for ever.

Thanks for the welcomes, and thanks for the advice, terminator. Has Matt Harwood got a website for car security?

I'm off to Karma imports later to look at a black TT manual they have in stock there. :) I reckon its an import, even though it has leather and some UK history (I understand the manual J-specs didn't have leather as standard) . The car has done 68,000 miles and its a 93 example. Price £10,995. What d'you reckon? Good price?

Still not sure where to send my cheque to join your club :(

Joe

dont worry about the handing over the money before seing the car.you are able to view the car when its in the country under going its registration. I also believe the money is refundable. Just test the car on collection ie hits full boost. Miguel is very helpfull if you have any worries email him and im sure he will help. The company had as great reputation.

Hey bud, am newbie too so welcome along, theres loads of helpful stuff on here and if you cant find what u need theres always some here who knows the answer.

There is a reg section at top of page which u bank details for the site, i just did a bill payment from my a/c the other day, havent herd anything right enough so prob arsed it up!!! :p

i have heard loads of good things bout newera, my m8 spent months talking to miguel about buying a rex, miguel is rex mad but he a hero on all that is slanty eyed so is very good for advice even if u not buy from them.

That one u r looking at sounds not bad price but have seen similar price and spec with lower miles.

i bought mine from http://www.mackaytrading.co.uk but they only got one in stock at mo.

Yep I think I agree with you on that one Chuck. I've just found a nice standard auto facelift 96' with 50,000 miles (with warranty) for the same price as that black 93' manual with 68,000 miles (without warranty).

I must say that the prices of these twin turbos seem all over the place. :conf: I suppose modifications confuse the issue somewhat because they (presumably) only add value to a car if they have been proffesionaly executed using high quality parts. I don't see the point in paying the same money for a manual that is three years and 18,000 older than an auto!

Joe