The mkiv Supra Owners Club

knackered steering knuckle or bushing?

bodilx6

I've for some time had a "creaking" almost scraping noise from my right, front wheel when driving over speed bumps and the likes.

Toyota (I know, I know, don't use em. I usually don't, it was just the easiest at the time) told me that it was the right upper suspension arm that needed replacing. It sounded right, but after replacing it (rather expensive) the sound is the same.

The guy who replaced it for me told me that it looked like dirt had entered the ball joint (or is it the steering knuckle) and also this was the case with the lower suspension arm.

The should doesnt sound like something that would come from a ball joint and I almost silenced it by spraying some fine oil in by the bushing.

So, does anyone have a great way of testing what is generating the sound?

Should I just replace all bushes and if I do, wouldn't that be a waste of time and money if its the ball joints since these can't be replaced without the entire arm.

Does a guide to replace suspension bushes exist? (I have checked the "Knocking and Creaking FAQ")

Edited by bodilx6 (see edit history)