The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Respray time...

Dash Rendar

Someone reversed into the front of my car the other day, while I was parked in my own driveway! The damage is really minor: just some scuffing and a fine crack on the nosecone.

So, the car goes into Octagon Toyota on Tuesday to get repaired and sprayed, at the expense of her insurer. I just hope my car doesn't end up having a Peter Sharpe-stylee test drive while it's at Toyota!!

And put it on a postage note on the speedo so they know you know;)

thats not a bad idea, when i had a 200SX many moons ago it went in the garage for an MOT and one of the guys where i work saw it at lunch time on the bypass going in the opposite direction "like a missile at warp speed", when i confronted them surprise surprise they denied it

• 2 weeks later...

Well, things seemed to be going well. The car went in last Tuesday and I got it back on Friday evening. It was difficult to inspect when I picked it up, as it was about 17:00 and there wasn't much light. The car was very dirty and the nosecone - where the scuffing had been sprayed - was also dirty, despite evidence of some polish having been applied. (There were a few white polish spots over the nosecone which only came off with a fingernail.)

Anyway, the car hasn't been driven since then, and I finally had an opportunity to clean it today. I'm pleased to say that the scuffing on the nosecone has been corrected adequately. I'm less pleased to say that there's now a big scratch on the top of the nosecone, and there also appears to be a crack, just where the cone meets the inner corner of the passenger side headlight.

I took the car back to Toyota Octagon this evening as soon as I discovered the damage. They're adamant that the crack by the headlight wasn't there when I picked the car up; the implication is that by some amazing coincidence, it suddenly manifested on my three mile journey home from Toyota.

The nosecone also seems to be poorly attached on the drivers side. This could certainly have resulted in the crack. However, they tell me the nosecone wasn't taken off the car to do the work, so that's *very* confusing.

Anyway, the guy I've been dealing with is going to speak to the workshop guy on Monday and get back to me. Fingers crossed that they 'fess up and fix it. But it's a bloody nuisance and damned inconvenient.

Anyone got any advice or suggestions for how to proceed?

It's never easy is it mate :(

From what others have said here in the past you always need to speak to the workshop manager at a minimum when things go wrong. The workshop people will be next to useless at resolving problems (they are not paid for that!)

Which Octagon garage was it? The one near the leisure centre in bracknell?

It was the one next to the Nike sports centre in Binfield. Nobody seems to take any pride in their work these days.

You know, they quoted £500-something to repair/respray the tiny crack in the nose cone. It was on 3rd party insurance, so I didn't really care, but for that kind of money on such a small job, I'd expect top-notch work. Instead, it comes out slightly worse for wear than when it went in!

It was the one next to the Nike sports centre in Binfield. Nobody seems to take any pride in their work these days.

You know, they quoted £500-something to repair/respray the tiny crack in the nose cone. It was on 3rd party insurance, so I didn't really care, but for that kind of money on such a small job, I'd expect top-notch work. Instead, it comes out slightly worse for wear than when it went in!

For that sort of money it should be absolutely spot on. Even GVN charge less than that for a repair and paint and they are not cheap. Definetly get down there on Monday and speak to the manager!

Guest Cruisin'

If necessary I'd threaten with Trading Standards .... and I'd certainly get in touch with the Insurers involved so they are fully aware of your complaint. Email if poss, put it in writing. Throw the book at Toyota, let them know it's going to the Association of British Insurers if necesary... and if Toyota won't play ball, get their comments in writing, let them know it's for further action.

"The nosecone also seems to be poorly attached on the drivers side. This could certainly have resulted in the crack. However, they tell me the nosecone wasn't taken off the car to do the work, so that's *very* confusing".

Good luck

i work at a toyota dealership in the workshop , and just be persistant and keep on they will get it fixed its just easier for them but there probably denying it as we get so many people trying fast ones like we "caused a scratch that was already rusting" lol things like that, plus things like valeters are all bloody idiots at our place and they could easily do something like this and not own up makes me angry as i am one of the few that does take pride in my work

I won't take mine anywhere near a Toyota dealership. I took my last car in to have the oil pressure switch replaced, and I was very specific as to how I expected my car to be treated while they had it. I was told that nobody but the workshop manager would either drive or work on the car.

When I picked the car up, I found the settings on my SBCI-D had been changed, one of my rear wheels had been curbed and the tyre wall damaged.

Coincidentally, a friend had spotted my car being driven through town during that day.