The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Coilover Fitting Advice?

DAT Inter

Hey there guys. I had a rummage using the search button, :search:, but couldnt find a guide or anything.

Im going to be putting my coileys on tomorrow, Driftworks HSD's, and am just looking for a guide/advice/step by step etc.

Is it simply, undo the top three bolts, remove the bottom bolt then pull out?

Cheers for the help.

Fraser

The rears are easy (even easier with Ian's link above)

The fronts are a little more tricky as the lower arm normally needs to come out to get the stock coilover out. I've never had a problem getting the bolts out but some people have done.

Not directly related, but some pics here from Carlos's rusty old UK: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=48973

Will try and do one for the whole thing. Fuck, not looking forward to doing the front ones now lol. Itsa fresh import so bolts shouldnt be too bad.

If you can move some spanners and a lump hammer you'll be alright, it's really not difficult, just a little frustrating *if* bolts are seized up. Just take your time and it'll be fine :)

If you can manage to do the rear shocks you can do the front ones, there's no leap of knowledge or skill needed. If you're moving camber items, just make sure you mark them up before removing.

This Info might be Helpful for the Front and Rear Suspension and is from the Toyota supra jza80 Chassis Body Manual so no need to remove the lower arm and wheel arch liners hopefully . http://www.turbosupras.com/pdfs/JZA80%20TSRM/SA.pdf Oops I forgot to add the sections you would need are pg SA-20 for Front Suspension and SA-90 for Rear Suspension. These will also include the torque settings as well.

Edited by GreaseMonkey (see edit history)

It is an easy job.... :)

It does help to have two people, but I've done a few sets on my own. (Roughly a two hour job if you have a bit of gusto, 30 min per corner) Spring compressors are very handy to have and make the job a bit easier :)

Rears, easy enough, one bolt at the bottom, three on top, use spring compressors and pull out as one unit.

Fronts, drivers side is easy enough, pull out the long bolt from the top wishbone, move it out the way, undo the bottom bolt from the unit, and remove. Passenger side is the same, however you need to move the washer bottle as well in order to slide the bolt out completely. There is nothing else to dismantle before you start taking ARBs and all the malarky out :)

EDIT : You will need to move the arch liners out the way for the long top wishbone bolts.

Edited by JustGav (see edit history)