The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Buying A Supra - Info PLease

Guest Trickster

Guest Trickster

Hi All

I have an mr2 turbo, but its going up for sale and im going to start looking for a twin turbo supra around 93-94.

Just looking for advice on common problems to look for when i go to view a car. Also how hard are they to work on? Ive had the engine out of the 2 a few times and its pretty straight forward so any info there would be great.

Also, how much of a difference in power am i going to feel? the 2 is about 240bhp at the crank, with the extra weight in the supra will i still feel a good difference. Id like some honest opinions here please people :p

Any additional info would be greatly appriciated!

Cheers

Graeme

Graeme, there are a few previous MR2 turbo owners on this board. They've have been through what you have and made various points about the differences between the two...

try this thread for starters

As for working on them, i think if you are the sort who has been happily removing MR2 engines then the supra shouldn't pose any major problems for you for general servicing, repairs and mild mods.

Probably worth finding one with the larger brakes

Originally posted by Trickster

Hi All

Also, how much of a difference in power am i going to feel? the 2 is about 240bhp at the crank, with the extra weight in the supra will i still feel a good difference. Id like some honest opinions here please people :p

I once had a race with this guy in an MR2 turbo. The phrase "brought a knife to a gunfight" comes to mind. We actually met up about 20 mins later in the local garage where he declared he thought his car was fast, but now he's going to have to sell it to get a supra.

Do it, you'll not regret it.:thumbs:

Hi All

I have an mr2 turbo, but its going up for sale and im going to start looking for a twin turbo supra around 93-94.

Hi Graeme,

A very common upgrade path, it seems like the sensible next step doesn't it :)

Just looking for advice on common problems to look for when i go to view a car. Also how hard are they to work on? Ive had the engine out of the 2 a few times and its pretty straight forward so any info there would be great.

I don't think there really are any worrying common issues, things wear out like any car but no one component seems to need replacing all the time, a very over engineered car with few problems if looked after. The boot support rubbers perish but £10 sorts that out.... erm that's the only niggle I can think of right now :)

They have a 'few' extra hoses here and there and obviously have a bit more technology under the bonnet than the MR2 but they seem OK to work on, a few bits to remove to get to other bits but with a bit of assistance I suspect most jobs could be tackled yourself. I'm still learning but they are a helpful bunch on here :)

I think I covered that in the thread posted to above but now I've got the car I can add a bit more - standard vs standard the Supra will be quicker, modded MR2 vs Supra will probably be similar.

MR2 + £1000 vs Supra + £1000 = MR2 wins initially then gets slaughtered :)

The standard Supra is very refined and doesn't feel half as quick as it really is, up the boost, decat and exhaust and it's a totally different beast (much the same as the MR2 just more so).

On the drag strip a slightly tuned MR2 might have the edge over a slightly tuned Supra but out on the roads in a point to point run or on the track the Supra has so much extra that it should wipe the grin off the MR2 driver. It's just a far superior car out of the box, the suspension is far more advanced, as is the chassis, brakes, engine etc...

Drive as many examples as you can, make your own mind up :)

Guest Trickster

Thanks for the replies guys

Hopefully i will be going to buy one next weekend if all works out ok, anything i should check for when starting the car and driving it? obviously smoking etc, the car has 60k miles on it too, whats the timing belt change interval on these?

Cheers all

Graeme

Thanks for the replies guys

Hopefully i will be going to buy one next weekend if all works out ok, anything i should check for when starting the car and driving it? obviously smoking etc, the car has 60k miles on it too, whats the timing belt change interval on these?

Cheers all

Graeme

It should have just been done , its not a particularly bad job to do if your handy with the spanners and if it does break its no big deal as they are non interferance!!!:D

Dude:flame Dev

Guest Trickster

Thanks for the quick reply!

I wasnt sure if they were non interferance like the 3sgte, pleased to hear tho! Cant be as bad as changing the one on the 2 with the engine in place, i just dropped the engine out to change it, much quicker and easier!

Only thing im worried about, is it has a boost controller fitted so im worried if its been kicked all over the place, like i said ive heard they are bomb proof and ok to boost up to about 17psi, but im still a newbie with the car/engine. I dont want to go and come back with a nail! haha

Also the car is a 1993 on a K plate, was the changeover to the VVTI on a 1994? im assuming itll be the 280bhp version.

Thanks all

Graeme

Thanks for the quick reply!

I wasnt sure if they were non interferance like the 3sgte, pleased to hear tho! Cant be as bad as changing the one on the 2 with the engine in place, i just dropped the engine out to change it, much quicker and easier!

Only thing im worried about, is it has a boost controller fitted so im worried if its been kicked all over the place, like i said ive heard they are bomb proof and ok to boost up to about 17psi, but im still a newbie with the car/engine. I dont want to go and come back with a nail! haha

Also the car is a 1993 on a K plate, was the changeover to the VVTI on a 1994? im assuming itll be the 280bhp version.

Thanks all

Graeme

VVTI is 96 on i believe so it will 'only' be 280 bhp (they are actually more than this , jap agreement about home market max power ) see if you can get a bbs member to go with you , there are some untampered cars about , i have one (auto) 70,000kms and never been over 112mph !!!! still got the cats in and all stock except wheels , its going to a showroom this week , so they are about if you look !!!

Dude:flame Dev

Guest Trickster

This one is a manual, only been in the country since october, but has had the full uk conversion done, we will have to see, i cant see there being any problems with it, im just trying not to let excitment get in the way of what really is!