The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Info & Advice please

sarjo

I have recently and reluctantly sold my supra to a nice guy who collected it from Belgium. I used a similar advert to the one used when I bought it just under three years ago - that is I used his spec and added the bits that I had put on the car.

I advertised 'HKS Vernier Cams' (the same exact words as used when I bought it).

As a non mechanical person I thought these were the nice coloured pulley/gear things under the bonnet :(

I have had an email from him today saying that he has changed the valvecover and found that the cams are not HKS, just ordinary ones with HKS cam gears. He is suggesting that this is about 1,000 euro less in value to if they were HKS cams?

Any comments which may help me decide how i respond to this?

Cheers

"HKS vernier cams" should really cause someone to ask a question anyway.

Cams are one thing, Vernier cam gears are something else... (Vernier ones have an 'accurate' scale on the side to help the adjustment, standard ones aren't adjustable)

Your initial assumption of it being 'the shiney things' is correct :)

"HKS vernier cams" should really cause someone to ask a question anyway.

Cams are one thing, Vernier cam gears are something else... (Vernier ones have an 'accurate' scale on the side to help the adjustment, standard ones aren't adjustable)

Your initial assumption of it being 'the shiney things' is correct :)

Am I right in thinking there is no such thing as a vernier cam, only vernier cam gears? My cam gears were adjustable and yes they had the scale on them.

The guy who bought the car works for Toyota so should have asked the question to confirm what he was buying then!

Edited by sarjo (see edit history)

Am I right in thinking there is no such thing as a venrier cam, only vernier cam gears?

The guy who bought the car works for Toyota so should have asked the question to confirm what he was buying then!

As far as my knowledge goes, that is correct, cams aren't available in a vernier option, only the cam gears.

I am hoping that vernier 'means' adjustable and then I can ask him why he thought that cams could be adjustable!

Can anyone suggest how much HKS cams go for out of interest?

HKS Camshafts for 1993-98 Supra - 264 Duration

Part # HK 2202-RT083/084

MSRP $520.00

Your Price $449.00

From MVP, but just for a guideline.

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Merchant/catalog/jdm/t/supramkiv/parts/hks/22004-at003.jpg

Adjustable cam gear....

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Merchant/hks_camshafts.JPG

Cam shaft (look carefully and there is no way to make adjustments to it :))

I did once toy with the idea of using electromagnetics on the valves and loosing the camshaft altogether, but the the size of the drive units sort of killed the idea.

Edited by JustGav (see edit history)

http://www.answers.com/vernier

If he thinks the cams themselves should be adjustable he doesn't know any more about cars than you do. IMO he's just trying it on.

exactly and the kind of person who doesn't know that isn't going to be able to just take a rocker cover off and see the cams aren't hks ;) he would need a different kind of vernier for that and measure the lift and duration off the lobes or did he expect them to have a hks sticker on em ?

tell him to spin

Your advert said, 'HKS Vernier Cams' , implying that they are HKS cams , "Vernier" doesn't really have anything to do with it.

As "Vernier" wouldn't necessarily have to be taken as a descriptive word when it's used like this as all sorts of things for sale get fancy names to make them appear more attractive.

Nevertheless it was a genuine mistake, you've got to ask the question: Would he have bought the car if it wasn't advertised with 'HKS Vernier Cams ?

The car certainly wouldn't be worth 1000 Euro less if it had stock cams.