The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Do I need a TT??

Supralove

Hi again people, Just wanted to continue from my first thread "Hi, is a supra for me"

So I have decided that a supra WILL be my next car, and I currently am really stressing myself over getting a n/a supe or the TT. The reason I ask is my budget is currently £5k, now with that Im fairly confident I could pick up a nice n/a for around £4.5k and then straight away spend £500ish on getting a big service done, all fluids changed and maybe 4 new tyres to really make the car mint etc.

On the other hand I could do what I have been doing the last month and check autotrader/pistonhead/ebay an hope a tt comes up in my budget that hasn't had 23 owners or manky modifications.

Another plus for the n/a is I think that it should just about meet my need for speed, over the last couple of weeks I have driven a clio 182, celica t sport and a rx8(231bhp) and the clio and mazda felt very quick indeed. the celica just didn't do it for me the power band is so small. Now all these cars take over 6.5 seconds to hit 60mph, the n/a hits it in 5.9 apparently (is this true??) so if thats the case then I'm sure this would be fine. The fastest car I have every been in is a merc sl500, now that thing shifted like nothing I have ever been in but a google search to my suprise shows me a 0-60 time of 5.9, exactly the same as the n/a.

The things that I think would annoy me about having an n/a is the fact that the insurance would not of cost me any more should I of bought the tt. Also the fact that the MPG figures really are not much better considering its 100bhp down compared to the tt.

Now the main reason I'm really stuck is I have just been reading that the tt only really comes into its own above 70mph where you can get to license losing speeds very very quickly, now without sounding boring I have never been the type that drives at high speed, I rarely go above 80, to me a car being considered fast is all about acceleration. With this in mind do you guys think that I would not really reap the benefits of the tt and it would be almost pointless me getting one or is it still in a different league when in and around town?

Maybe there is someone on here that has owned both and could advise me if the differences are big enough to warrent me holding out for a tt considering my lack of need for power past 80mph? Or maybe there is someone on here in cambridgeshire with an n/a who could take me for a spin and I would of course contribute some funds to. The only reason I have not yet driven one is the nearest n/a on autotrader is 80 miles away.

Sorry if its a big of an essay but I'm tearing my hair out every day trying to decide weather getting a pucker n/a or waiting and hoping I can get a good tt for my budget.

Eddy

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have owned single, twin and NA Supras, a few things to think about from what you have mentioned

If you crave power you would be better off waiting to save a bit more and getting a TT, the stock car is a quick car, and not just over 70MPH but through the rev range

If you have a limited budget and it has to be a Supra get a TT Auto as these can be picked up for 5K at the moment (even less if you look hard enough)

If you think you will get a major service, all fluids and 4 tyres for £500 you need to think again, the Supra is expensive to maintain and you must buy the better brands of rubber being a RWD car

The NA is a great drive, I loved mine, but the lack of power is something that will become annoying after time (especially if you stay around this forum for a while !)

The NA is not much cheaper to insure so dont worry about that

The Supra is expensive to look after, especially when you start adding Mods, if you have a limited budget I would get a car that leaves you comfortable with some spare cash incase something goes wrong or you fancy some improvements

I would also consider fuel as the TT uses above the average for a daily driver

good luck in finding the right car, the for sale section is full of good ones

I have owned single, twin and NA Supras, a few things to think about from what you have mentioned

If you crave power you would be better off waiting to save a bit more and getting a TT, the stock car is a quick car, and not just over 70MPH but through the rev range

If you have a limited budget and it has to be a Supra get a TT Auto as these can be picked up for 5K at the moment (even less if you look hard enough)

If you think you will get a major service, all fluids and 4 tyres for £500 you need to think again, the Supra is expensive to maintain and you must buy the better brands of rubber being a RWD car

The NA is a great drive, I loved mine, but the lack of power is something that will become annoying after time (especially if you stay around this forum for a while !)

The NA is not much cheaper to insure so dont worry about that

The Supra is expensive to look after, especially when you start adding Mods, if you have a limited budget I would get a car that leaves you comfortable with some spare cash incase something goes wrong or you fancy some improvements

I would also consider fuel as the TT uses above the average for a daily driver

good luck in finding the right car, the for sale section is full of good ones

Excellant advice:)

I started with an NA, then a UK spec twin and am now on a JSpec twin. They're all good cars (despite the fights on here!!). It really depends on what you want from it - if you don't want balls-out acceleration then an NA is a great car - still has the great looks and you can mod the exterior etc - to the untrained eye it looks the same as a TT. The TT is quick up to 70 and beyond (but then the NA is no slouch either) - around town, and obviously off boost, its a big docile 3 litre. Around town either an NA or TT will feel the same. Its only when you go on meets and start having drives (passenger seat) in other people's cars that you tend to get bitten by the TT/more power bug. For your budget you should be able to find a very nice NA or a ropey (ish) TT - you get what you pay for - these aren't cars to buy if you're on a shoestring budget.

Hold out for a good car, never be afraid to travel (I did a 600 mle round trip for my latest one!) and never buy the first one you see!

any advise as to where else to check apart from autotrader/pistonheads/ebay and here?

yeah I don't normally skimp on tyres, how much roughly for good uns all round

this is what bugs me, when I talk to supra owners, when talking about n/a's the phrase lack of power comes up alot. upon talking to owners of most other typical cars anything below 6 secs to 60 is considered very quick. now obviously it all comes down to opinion but is it a quick feeling car? what I mean new civic type takes 6.5 to hit 60 but it has no sensation of speed when in the cabin so it doesn't feel fast. pug 106 gti or clio williams feel very fast but are slower to 60? so has the n/a got a good sensation of speed?

The NA is not much cheaper to insure so dont worry about that.

not cheaper at all in my case :(

again an n/ashould leae me with £500ish for either a service or to fix any niggly bits that need doing.

I would also consider fuel as the TT uses above the average for a daily driver.

Doesn't bother me as I only do max 5k miles a year.

good luck in finding the right car, the for sale section is full of good ones.

thanks for all the help so far, very helpful

cheers

I started with an NA, then a UK spec twin and am now on a JSpec twin. They're all good cars (despite the fights on here!!). It really depends on what you want from it - if you don't want balls-out acceleration then an NA is a great car - still has the great looks and you can mod the exterior etc - to the untrained eye it looks the same as a TT. The TT is quick up to 70 and beyond (but then the NA is no slouch either) - around town, and obviously off boost, its a big docile 3 litre. Around town either an NA or TT will feel the same. Its only when you go on meets and start having drives (passenger seat) in other people's cars that you tend to get bitten by the TT/more power bug. For your budget you should be able to find a very nice NA or a ropey (ish) TT - you get what you pay for - these aren't cars to buy if you're on a shoestring budget.

Hold out for a good car, never be afraid to travel (I did a 600 mle round trip for my latest one!) and never buy the first one you see!

thanks, oh and when I do buy one I hope its miles away just so I can have a long trip back in the car. I won't be buying the first I see which is why I'm hesitant to travel 80 miles to see a car I know I will not buy.

5k gets you nice auto tt mate..

we can always import you one fresh from japan mate...

we look over them and do basic service to them before they go..

does 5k include shipping and everything involved in getting it uk ready or it is 5k plus shipping etc?

If its the first I could be very intrested

Hi again people, Just wanted to continue from my first thread "Hi, is a supra for me"

So I have decided that a supra WILL be my next car, and I currently am really stressing myself over getting a n/a supe or the TT. The reason I ask is my budget is currently £5k, now with that Im fairly confident I could pick up a nice n/a for around £4.5k and then straight away spend £500ish on getting a big service done, all fluids changed and maybe 4 new tyres to really make the car mint etc.

On the other hand I could do what I have been doing the last month and check autotrader/pistonhead/ebay an hope a tt comes up in my budget that hasn't had 23 owners or manky modifications.

Another plus for the n/a is I think that it should just about meet my need for speed, over the last couple of weeks I have driven a clio 182, celica t sport and a rx8(231bhp) and the clio and mazda felt very quick indeed. the celica just didn't do it for me the power band is so small. Now all these cars take over 6.5 seconds to hit 60mph, the n/a hits it in 5.9 apparently (is this true??) so if thats the case then I'm sure this would be fine. The fastest car I have every been in is a merc sl500, now that thing shifted like nothing I have ever been in but a google search to my suprise shows me a 0-60 time of 5.9, exactly the same as the n/a.

The things that I think would annoy me about having an n/a is the fact that the insurance would not of cost me any more should I of bought the tt. Also the fact that the MPG figures really are not much better considering its 100bhp down compared to the tt.

Now the main reason I'm really stuck is I have just been reading that the tt only really comes into its own above 70mph where you can get to license losing speeds very very quickly, now without sounding boring I have never been the type that drives at high speed, I rarely go above 80, to me a car being considered fast is all about acceleration. With this in mind do you guys think that I would not really reap the benefits of the tt and it would be almost pointless me getting one or is it still in a different league when in and around town?

Maybe there is someone on here that has owned both and could advise me if the differences are big enough to warrent me holding out for a tt considering my lack of need for power past 80mph? Or maybe there is someone on here in cambridgeshire with an n/a who could take me for a spin and I would of course contribute some funds to. The only reason I have not yet driven one is the nearest n/a on autotrader is 80 miles away.

Sorry if its a big of an essay but I'm tearing my hair out every day trying to decide weather getting a pucker n/a or waiting and hoping I can get a good tt for my budget.

Eddy

I am in Goffs Oak, EN7. If you are planning to be down in the area, give me a day or so notice and I will take you out for a spin. I have a 94 N/A 5-speed Manual. Pics are in my first posts so take a look. Haven't had a chance to update my Garage yet.

Ilias

I won't be buying the first I see which is why I'm hesitant to travel 80 miles to see a car I know I will not buy.

Take distance out of the equation completely - it compromises your decision making. Go by history, provenance and the overall condition of the car. Never be afraid to ask questions of sellers about what has been replaced, fiddled with, altered etc. Do some research on here about what is likely to need replacing, checking etc and at what mileages and write yourself a checklist (and wishlist such as colour, gearbox, interior, mods) of what the car must and must not have - then sit down and enjoy the best part which is hunting your very own Supra down!

5k should get you a decent enough TT auto, but it's more about the running costs than the purchase costs, to be honest.

The N/A is a good car, but 5.9s 0-60 is wholly unrealistic. I think you'd be closer to 6.5s. The TT should be good for about 5.0s (do note, however, that 0-60 is not an area where the Supra excels anyway).