The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Active Spoiler down/up @ 95/75

bodilx6

My active spoiler deploys at roughly 95mph and retracts when I get below 75mph.

Why can that be? Originally it was down at 60 and up again at 50 or so but after having a SLD installed (and a few wires cut during the installation, but according to install guide) this changed. I also think I had the speedometer changed from the 180kph to a 180mph/300kph at the same time.

Any idea as of why? Its a 93 J-spec if that matters. I'm guessing its got something to do with a signal to an ECU somewhere but does anyone know how to change that?

I know it might be a weird answer but have you re-calibrated your speedo after you changed it?

Hmm.. it is a bit off, but only like 10 kph @ 160 where the spoiler deploys. This according to GPS.

Btw, how would I go about calibrating that (except from actually moving the needle, which I think is a really bad idea)

Edited by bodilx6 (see edit history)

The maths would say its a KMH to MPH thing

Yes, close to. So its getting a numerical signal or something? My odometer counts in kilometers though, so I dont know how miles should be mixed into this. Only place it see miles is on the speedo, but I'm guessing there is no intelligence here...

sounds like the speed signal to the Active spoiler has been taken after the speed conversion for the speedo, rather than before the speed conversion.

edit: or rather the speed conversion for the speedo has been done before the signal branches off to the Active Spoiler.

The Active Spoiler ECU will be expecting the speed in kph and is receiving the speed signal in mph.

Mike

As Pixelfill detailed above, some monkey has wired in your altered speed signal to your active spoiler (and possibly your power steering & cruise, if fitted) - have a look at the Thor wiring diagram for their speedo convertor for what's where & how it's usually best wired up.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/peter.betts/supra/TechTips/dsc_speedo_mph.jpg

Thanks Steve and Pixelfill, that seems like what has happened. I will save this at show it to 'the monkey' :)

Cruise is fitted but I havent noticed any differences that I remember. I'm guessing that I shouldn't be able to set cruise until 65 kph (isnt 40 mph the set limit?) and that the steering would be a bit on the heavy side at city driving (havent noticed this either).

Thanks Steve and Pixelfill, that seems like what has happened. I will save this at show it to 'the monkey' :)

:D Dont tell him I said he was a monkey. ;)

To be fair it's not always obvious. I'd be keen to spot what he's done (if anything) to the wire going into the odo; you note on the diagram that the odo buffers the speed signal and chucks it straight out; what's he done to that section of wiring? I'm guessing left it alone (good, as our odo is still in km) but then chopped the wire coming out and stuck the mph signal into the rest (doh).

Cruise is fitted but I havent noticed any differences that I remember. I'm guessing that I shouldn't be able to set cruise until 65 kph (isnt 40 mph the set limit?) and that the steering would be a bit on the heavy side at city driving (havent noticed this either).

The cruise control, power steering and active spoiler are being told you're going slower than you are (~5/8ths the real speed in fact). So, the power steering will help more than it should (i.e. it'll feel lighter than it should), the active spoiler will deploy/retract at too high a speed, and the cruise won't work at as low a speed as it used to (e.g. you'll have to do 50mph intead of 30 or whatever), but will work to >100mph or whenever it's meant to cut off. :D

:D Dont tell him I said he was a monkey. ;)

To be fair it's not always obvious. I'd be keen to spot what he's done (if anything) to the wire going into the odo; you note on the diagram that the odo buffers the speed signal and chucks it straight out; what's he done to that section of wiring? I'm guessing left it alone (good, as our odo is still in km) but then chopped the wire coming out and stuck the mph signal into the rest (doh).

This seems very right. I remember him being baffled by a stupid manual. He wondered why some speedo wire was marked to be cut. That must be it. Thanks a bunch. Hope he can find it again :)

slower[/u] than you are (~5/8ths the real speed in fact). So, the power steering will help more than it should (i.e. it'll feel lighter than it should), the active spoiler will deploy/retract at too high a speed, and the cruise won't work at as low a speed as it used to (e.g. you'll have to do 50mph intead of 30 or whatever), but will work to >100mph or whenever it's meant to cut off. :D

Yeah, thats what I thought except I which around on the power assist. Again, hoping we can find the wire and fit it correctly

This seems very right. I remember him being baffled by a stupid manual. He wondered why some speedo wire was marked to be cut. That must be it. Thanks a bunch. Hope he can find it again :)

It certainy looks daunting but it's a reasonably simple job; if he gets stuck take some pics; as close up, well lit and high res as possible - and if I can make sense of it from those I'm happy to help. :)

• 3 weeks later...
It certainy looks daunting but it's a reasonably simple job; if he gets stuck take some pics; as close up, well lit and high res as possible - and if I can make sense of it from those I'm happy to help. :)

Hi again Steve

Came to think; what exactly should I take pics of? I havent been able to get an appointment with him yet, but would like to be well prepared and maybe if you could spot something, I could even fix it myself. Probably an easy fix if the issue can be found.

Thanks a lot!

Hi again Steve

Came to think; what exactly should I take pics of? I havent been able to get an appointment with him yet, but would like to be well prepared and maybe if you could spot something, I could even fix it myself. Probably an easy fix if the issue can be found.

Thanks a lot!

Have a look at the pictures in the delimit/speedo conversion fitting guide I did, and try to take equivalent (but preferably better) pictures.

e.g. - doesn't really show detail...

• 2 months later...
Have a look at the pictures in the delimit/speedo conversion fitting guide I did, and try to take equivalent (but preferably better) pictures.

e.g. - doesn't really show detail...

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d141/SupraSteveR/Instruments-connectors.jpg

Steve,

I't has taken forever, but I finally have disasembled my dash to install a TRD speedo. This gave me an oppotunity to get a few pics behind the speedo cluster.

I'm guessing the issue is my SLD, which is something a local supra specialst makes himself. It might be down to the unit not taking the active spoiler (and then possibly the power steering) into account, or it might be down to some funny wireing.

Take a look and let me know if you need further info/pics (need to take it apart again, since I didn't get the speedo needle set properly)

Large pictures though, so you might want to right click and save as...

Thanks a bunch, mate!

http://idisk.me.com/stefanbovien/Public/dash1.JPG

http://idisk.me.com/stefanbovien/Public/dash2.JPG

http://idisk.me.com/stefanbovien/Public/dash3.JPG

Edited by bodilx6 (see edit history)

Hmm, not sure I can learn much from the way the unit has been installed from those pictures I'm afriad. In "Dash2", where does that wire go to/from?

Can you take a photo of the blue connector showing any modified wiring going to/from it (as clearly as is possible - I know it's tricky) and the same again for the more chunky, black IIRC odo connector (not the speedo).

Also, where is the convertor itself?

Cheers!

Sure thing. I was expecting that you would need some further info/pics. I will get that done on friday as I didn't get the plastic cover clean enough and the speed is 5% off on the speedo :)

The unit itself is the small one packed in tape. I will take that off and get a proper shot of that as well.

Thx!

No worries.

BTW as you've probably found, it's almost impossible to get the inside of the clear plastic spedo cover slear of ALL dust before putting it back on. I blasted mine with ("clean", i.e. particle-free) compressed air from a diving cylinder but I suspect a decent dust cloth would suffice. It's most annoying when you refit everything then spot a spec of dust! ;)

Here are more pics:

http://idisk.mac.com/stefanbovien/Public/speedo/harness-wire1.JPG

http://idisk.mac.com/stefanbovien/Public/speedo/harness-wire2.JPG

http://idisk.mac.com/stefanbovien/Public/speedo/odometer-harness-plug1.JPG

http://idisk.mac.com/stefanbovien/Public/speedo/odometer-harness-plug2.JPG

http://idisk.mac.com/stefanbovien/Public/speedo/unit.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hmmmmmmm curious... some of it makes sense and some of it doesn't

(sorry for the delay!)

I've never seen connectors go directly to the PCB on the back of the speedo before, that is a new one on me. It looks like +ve, -ve and speedo signal but I'm guessin that last one.

Can you confirm the following for me:

The pink wire coming from the loom, has been chopped long before it reaches the white plug (as shown in pictures: "odo harness plug 2"), and is instead now joined on to the thick white wire in the picture "dash2"?

The thick white wire then becomes the green input wire to the speedo convertor?

The speedo convertor has a yellow, red and black wire, and those 3 all go to the circuits on the back of the speedo where they are screwed down? It also has a grey wire which goes... nowhere?

The stub of wire coming off the white plug ("odo harness plug 1") goes nowhere?

Thanks a lot Steve

I will get it opened up again and check as soon as possible.

/Stefan

Doh sorry mate, I wasn't sure if you had the car off the road. I'll PM you my number so I can be more readily available when you upload pics so you won't need to keep doing this! :)