The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Not Again!!!

supraspeed

Ok driving back from football training 10 min ago. get about min from my house, boost gauges loose power

30 sec from my house, clocks (speedo rev etc) dim right down

just about to pull in and power steering goes

nearly put it into the wall because power steering fails whilst turning into my drive

getting it parked up just as all lights flicker, windscreen wipers die, revs drop.

ive just parked and not enough power to put my windows up. thankfully i have a car cover lying around to stop rain getting in...i hope anyway. Turned ignition off and wouldn't start again.

Now when i got the car back last week i had to change the battery cos it had died so replaced it with brand new halfords one (£80) and runs fine.

Any ideas what this could be as i suspect the alternator but a few warning lights started flicklering (battery and the one next to it on the right) ABS and oil one with lines underneath even though i filled oil up to top yesterday. i changed all damaged fuses sunday and everything was working ok

i'm not mechanically minded so any ideas?

These cars are a labour of love mate,hope you get it sorted

prob is its never been on the road for more than 2 weeks at a time! always something going wrong. just as i buy a 6 speed box this happens and sets all plans to a halt. just want to be able to drive it without major problems. i can deal with speedo and fuel gauge not working till i send it to whifbitz but nows everythings going wrong- only car ive ever had with soooo many problems :(

knew i should have bought the 300zx....:innocent:

PAS, and power went?

Have you checked the crank pulley while looking at electrical power?

Yep, good advice.

Don't go swapping alternators, there is much more it could be sometimes something very simple. Get the basics checked first before you go spending money on parts.

ok read the crank pulley speech and still bit confused as to how i check a problem? i mean what am i actually looking for physically. i checked wires from alternator and all in reasonable condition. is replacing alternator an engine out job or just removing everything in front of it first? either way at all sounds rather expensive to me.

Edited by supraspeed (see edit history)

Changing the alt is easy peasy. Just remove the fan/accessory belt and then your a bolt and a nut away from removing it!

Two precautionary tips tho (that caught me the first time) the N/A and TT alts are different (TT one is bigger) and if you go for a brand spanker from Mr T expect to pay around £400 for it (including the refund you get for returning your old 'un!!!!)

Changing the alt is easy peasy. Just remove the fan/accessory belt and then your a bolt and a nut away from removing it!

Two precautionary tips tho (that caught me the first time) the N/A and TT alts are different (TT one is bigger) and if you go for a brand spanker from Mr T expect to pay around £400 for it (including the refund you get for returning your old 'un!!!!)

ok cheers. seen a few goin for about 80-130 squids on ebay but doesn't specify what type (n/a or tt) but gives a list of other toyotas it will fit as well as supra

ok read the crank pulley speech and still bit confused as to how i check a problem? i mean what am i actually looking for physically. i checked wires from alternator and all in reasonable condition. is replacing alternator an engine out job or just removing everything in front of it first? either way at all sounds rather expensive to me.

from the symptoms it shouldn't be the alternator thats causing the problems (unless it's seized or near to it, though I'd have thouguht that would have burnt the aux belt off by now), everything points to a faulty crank pulley.

Turn the engine on and look stright down on the crank pulley, blip the throttle and see if you can see any noticable movement on the pulley. If faulty you'll normally see it wobble or move forward.

from the symptoms it shouldn't be the alternator thats causing the problems (unless it's seized or near to it, though I'd have thouguht that would have burnt the aux belt off by now), everything points to a faulty crank pulley.

Turn the engine on and look stright down on the crank pulley, blip the throttle and see if you can see any noticable movement on the pulley. If faulty you'll normally see it wobble or move forward.

problem is car wont start to blip the throttle lol i'l have to try and jump it or charge battery first