The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brake Opinions please

monsween

Im needing new brake pads now and thought i'd have a search around the site for recommended ones.

This turned up some interesting reading. I bought the car with HiSpec 6 pot fronts and 4 pot rears. Now whilst reading i found out these brakes are pretty crap

1) would it be worth me just plodding on and getting pads for these brakes (discs may need to go soon too(1 year)).

2) should i opt to rip em out and get either UK spec or get an alternative 4 and 6 pot set.

3) Keep the rears and change the fronts to uk spec or other 6 pots?

Car is a bog standard TT with BPU a possibility in the future

Cheers in advance

"Pretty Crappy" is subjective...someone elses opinion. What do YOU think of them? Feel, fade, power, confidence?

Whilst they might not be a worthwhile replacement for UK's, if you were spend good money on replacing uk's with hi-specs, it doesn't mean you should bin the hi specs.

If it was me I'd leave the hi-specs on and just keep them in good nick rather than shell out for a marginal improvement with heavier and bulkier uk's. As long as you have confidence in the brakes, use good fluid, pads etc you'll be fine.

Edited by Alex (see edit history)

Thanks, i really dont have too much problems with them, just from what i read.

Someone already shelled out for the cost of the conversion so i think it'll just be replace the disks and pads.

On another note, do i have to buy the HiSpec pads or can i get others? Ie are all 6 pot callipers similar with interchangable pads.

I really dont know much about after market brakes as ive never had a car thats needed anything other than standard ones

The pads will be a standard type. If Hi-Spec won't tell you (and they should) then take a pad out, draw it's outline onto a piece of A4, add the dimensions and fax/e-mail it to AP, Performance Friction and other pad manufacturers and ask if they have something suitable.

Usually these lower budget brake kits are based around the pad of a much more expensive system i.e. the AP 6 pot kit.