The mkiv Supra Owners Club

6 speed conversion current demand & price

Scooter

Is there still a high demand?

Also how much do you think a full conversion from an SZ-R would be worth given that it has a weaker stock clutch (I presume though that this is normally changed/uprated normally during the conversion anyway?) and a diff thats short and so probably no use to a TT auto owner that already has a LSD (possibly some use to open diff auto owners?). It will have only ever seen 220 ft/lb of torque but may have seen a few more rpm.

Given the car market i'm interested in trying to estimate what my car (SZ-R!) is worth in parts compared to a whole. I'd imagine as a whole its a bit over £4K if i'm lucky? If i had a minor prang or suffered some bodywork vandalism it may be more beneficial to break it than claim, the price of the bits for this conversion would be being the main income for this and hence my question :)

NB i have searched and seen a fair few old threads with high prices ie £2500 and waiting lists etc but i'm after a more current valuation and demand levels.

ta

I (and a few others) have decided the parts for a 6-speed conversion in the UK are hugely over-priced so will be purchasing from the states. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for capitalism and get the supply vs demand = price but equally I'm not throwing money away when the same thing is less than half the price overseas, even with the pound tanking.

I (and a few others) have decided the parts for a 6-speed conversion in the UK are hugely over-priced so will be purchasing from the states. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for capitalism and get the supply vs demand = price but equally I'm not throwing money away when the same thing is less than half the price overseas, even with the pound tanking.

I totally agree. I reckon its only a matter of time until the " very few" people who believe a 6 speed is worth £2.5k actually buy the gearbox.

Afterwards the rest of us who believe its hugely over valued will wait until the price comes down. Eventually the 6 speed kits will have no demand until they reduce the price.

Eventually the price WILL come down to realistic prices. How people can justify that figure when an extra 3k will get an entire car with a tt engine doesn't make any sense. :rolleyes:

I (and a few others) have decided the parts for a 6-speed conversion in the UK are hugely over-priced so will be purchasing from the states.

I can see the logic, these US sourced bits are presumably brand new for not too much more than secondhand stuff here.

...............so perhaps £1500 is a more realistic amount for me to assume?

Wow!

I didnt realise the difference was so big?!

Are you sure? even after import taxes and shipping?

I can see the logic, these US sourced bits are presumably brand new for not too much more than secondhand stuff here.

...............so perhaps £1500 is a more realistic amount for me to assume?

I don't. Supras in the US are far rarer than over here - especially given the size of the country. Therefore, by an economic perspective, the 6 speed conversions should be far higher there than here.

Even if the kit new is cheaper, what about the labour and shipping and all that. Doesn't make sense.

I don't know what your talking about :innocent: :sly:

I'd say it's not worth it btw, had it been a different colour, QS,black, RSP I would have had it by now but things do look "a little off" on the OS panels ;)

Thats the thing it's 'on the edge' as a money maker but may be perfect for a keenie like me looking to get the experience to breaking/part breaking it and eventually coming out even ish or with load of spares for mine........

BTW Heaters not working on it either.

I don't. Supras in the US are far rarer than over here - especially given the size of the country. Therefore, by an economic perspective, the 6 speed conversions should be far higher there than here.

Even if the kit new is cheaper, what about the labour and shipping and all that. Doesn't make sense.

You do know the US was Toyotas biggest market, with 12,000 cars sold, that isn't far rarer at all.

Shipping isn't expensive and I don't see your point for labour- if you need it you need it, if you can DIY then it doesn't matter if it's JDM, UK or USDM parts.

BTW Heaters not working on it either.

O RLY?

that's another £1000 off ;)

I wonder how much it owes him, it was £2895 a week'ish ago, might owe him say £2kish?

I know that somone on here offered him £2500 last week and he said no, I bet he regrets not taking that offer now! lol

You do know the US was Toyotas biggest market, with 12,000 cars sold, that isn't far rarer at all.

Shipping isn't expensive and I don't see your point for labour- if you need it you need it, if you can DIY then it doesn't matter if it's JDM, UK or USDM parts.

I read numbers in the hundreds were sold each year. Obviously then I misread or the numbers were nonsense.

EDIT - I think those numbers were numbers sold domestically, so maybe tons more were imported.

Point on shipping was they should be the same if not less than here as like labour so I dont get why its cheaper than here.

The parts themselves are half the price, shipping isn't a lot and I'd still have to pay Muffleman £800 regardless of where I bought the stuff from- the labour is constant.

If you read SF you will see some absolute steals (as well as chancers - good luck to them) in their classifieds.