The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Passed my MOT today with 1 cat removed

Bazzagt4

Hi Folks,

When I picked up my Supra back last april I asked the seller if the removed 2nd cat could be left in the boot so come MOT time I could put it back on, Alas I run out of time and couldnt get the cat fitted for my MOT, so put it through anyway and was pleasently suprised to hear it has Passed straight through.

It would seem there is no need to keep this cat pipe now. Has anyone else managed to pass with 1 cat removed???

Regards

If its a J-spec then it will pass anytime no matter what you have done to the engine.

The DVLA dont have emmissions data for pre 2000 cars with cats so the test centres run the emmisions test based on non CAT cars which means the limits used to fail are massive (3.5% i think, compared to 0.1% with a CAT)

Therefore i recon you could run massive power and never ever fail on emmissions with an older j-spec.

WOW, thats interesting.

I have had a few ST205 GT4's in the past that all needed a cat to pass the MOT. The ST185 I had was ok as it was pre 93 but the 1996 car which is the same year as my Supra needed one to pass.

So do you think my car would pass with the 1st cat removed aswell??

Thanks for your replies

Edited by Bazzagt4
Bad spelling (see edit history)

If its a J-spec then it will pass anytime no matter what you have done to the engine.

The DVLA dont have emmissions data for pre 2000 cars with cats so the test centres run the emmisions test based on non CAT cars which means the limits used to fail are massive (3.5% i think, compared to 0.1% with a CAT)

Therefore i recon you could run massive power and never ever fail on emmissions with an older j-spec.

Are you an MOT tester ? or did someone tell you that?

That's not true, actually, as my local 'friendly' MOT tester said I really should have the CATs (at least one) in because they do have the relevant data on most imports now. Don't rely on it. :)