The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra how long left?

The Raven

Its a good q. - unfortunately there are still way too many around for it to be a classic. I reckon at the rate they are being crashed and broken for spares etc. I reckon 5-8 years. I do wonder if a bone stock model will truly command a premium. I still think a bone stock prefacelift car looks very dated. A bone stock facelift still looks ok.

Think they will never be viewed as an old man car as their image never portrayed them in that light (video games and films). Also their performance potential is highly respected in the pistonhead community.

Its a good q. - 1unfortunately there are still way too many around for it to be a classic. I reckon at the rate they are being crashed and broken for spares etc. I reckon 5-8 years. 2I do wonder if a bone stock model will truly command a premium. I still think a bone stock prefacelift car looks very dated. A bone stock facelift still looks ok.

3Think they will never be viewed as an old man car as their image never portrayed them in that light (video games and films). 4Also their performance potential is highly respected in the pistonhead community.

1, I don't think there's that many in the UK, if someone could do a DVLA check I'd be surprised if the numbers were more than 4 figures.

2, Look at any desirable (modern) collectors cars, like various 911's, TVR Cerbera & Griffith, Lotus Elise & Esprit and BMW M cars, the mint stock stuff always command a premium over the spack chariots with bodykits and anything with any engine fettling has to have been built with the right parts and built by the right tuner/garage.

3. On the money.

4. Not as much as you'd think, on PH people think they are barges that don't handle and only good for motorways. I've seen "what car?" threads run to 20 pages with the Supra matching the OP's criteria to a tee but never mentioned once and if they are they are dismissed straight away. Start a thread and see for yourself if you wish.

1, I don't think there's that many in the UK, if someone could do a DVLA check I'd be surprised if the numbers were more than 4 figures.

2, Look at any desirable (modern) collectors cars, like various 911's, TVR Cerbera & Griffith, Lotus Elise & Esprit and BMW M cars, the mint stock stuff always command a premium over the spack chariots with bodykits and anything with any engine fettling has to have been built with the right parts and built by the right tuner/garage.

3. On the money.

4. Not as much as you'd think, on PH people think they are barges that don't handle and only good for motorways. I've seen "what car?" threads run to 20 pages with the Supra matching the OP's criteria to a tee but never mentioned once and if they are they are dismissed straight away. Start a thread and see for yourself if you wish.

1) Really? I have noticed you see far less in London since I bought my supra. I rarely see one anymore. I'd be very interest to know these figures.

2) You are more than likely correct - Worth buying one whilst they are cheap and storing it, which I may do so ;)

4) It's interesting as I was at whifbitz on Friday having a usual chin wag and one of the good guys down there was agreeing entirely what you are saying. I am very surprised. Rx7s generally get similar reactions and are often dismissed by their unfortunate 'rebuild image', despite them both being some of the greatest jap cars ever made.

Edited by supra_aero (see edit history)

The MkIV has still got to tread the same path as the Mk111 and that includes the scourge of Ebay killing the prices and the increasing number of owners who do unsympathetic mods diluting the marque.

Another consideration for the MkIV is the ease with which these cars can be bought and a reasonably high number of drivers who treat them as road racers which affect their image. The marque is no where near a classic in my opinion and will not be for at least ten to fifteen years when time, poor maintenance and increasing cost of ownership and the reluctance of insurers to repair takes its toll.

Just wondering at what point the supra becomes a classic car. And we are viewed as mad old men who live in sheds and work on their cars.

Most of our cars are now at least 16 years old now will there still be an interest in them when they get to the big 20?

I don't think Supra would ever become a classic in the UK. Well at least for another 15-20 years. Unfortunately. Due to too many grey jap import brought to the country & due to too many cars were built in Japan. Normally classic car means production up to around 2,000.

UK spec would deffo be a classic already if jap import was strictly prohibited

i think as long as films including jap cars...no names mentioned, and computer games still hugely indulge in the jap market nearly 20 years old, then i can't see the supra being regarded as a classic for a very long time.....especially with all the mad kits and colours stuck on them appealing to the younger generation still.

I think they still look modern and they look better than some of the new sports cars as some dont look so sporty anymore.

Even though there are far too many in Eastbourne for my liking ;), seeing an unmolested one cruising around town is always a delight, and I agree with you that they do still look 'relevant' and stylish too.

Otherwise I wouldn't have one. :)

Quote from the AA Website.

Well, according to the AA website, making it to 15 years, without mods though, seems to at least put your car in the running.

"Trying to find cover for your classic car? If you're over 25 years old and your car is standard build, over 15 years old and you do less than 7,500 miles a year, then we can help."

I suspect there are two definitions of 'classic' here. What the insurance industry uses (based probably on simple things like age) and what makes us feel nice in that 'classic' means special and in some way better than others...

Rowland

No Japanese car will ever become a true classic in this country. Don't know why but there is a snobbish attitude in the classic car world to Jap-crap. Try asking someone with an E-type or early 911 what they think of a 240Z for proof. All our cars, modified or stock will just become "old"

No Japanese car will ever become a true classic in this country. Don't know why but there is a snobbish attitude in the classic car world to Jap-crap. Try asking someone with an E-type or early 911 what they think of a 240Z for proof. All our cars, modified or stock will just become "old"

It's because they still work fine, without any major issues IMO. A classic car is one where it has to be virtually rebuilt after every outing. :)

I don't know whether Fast & the Furious will help it become a classic, or hasten its downfall. Cars need to be associated with something to become a true classic (I mean in the sense of becoming a collector's car). The Audi Quattro had rallying success for example.

When I can't drive it anymore, I think I'll mothball it in a lock-up somewhere. Then my great-great-grandchildren can re-discover it and sell it at auction for gazillions of republican credits. ;) A bit like that uber-rare Bugatti recently. There's some minor flaws in my plan, but I'm sure I'll work around them. :D

3. On the money.

Dont you think there is a contradiction there Gaz? Stock gets more value but people only like them coz they are kitted?

(p.s. not to be viewed as an attack or criticism etc, simply raises an interesting point imo)

snobbish attitude in the classic car world to Jap-crap. Try asking someone with an E-type or early 911 what they think of a 240Z for proof. All our cars, modified or stock will just become "old"

Agree with your point but early Jap cars are very collectable as diecast toys.

I suppose looking at the mk3 would give a rough idea of where we are heading, I think my question came about after seeing what must be the local MG owners club come past me in force the other day. All older gents who clearly love those cars to bits.

The joy that will be in 10 years seeing the same thing but with supri

I don't think the Supra will become a classic. It's a great car, no argument there, but the only thing it is associated with really is The Fast and the Furious.

Maybe in Japan it will become something, but not here. The only Jap car I can imagine will hold any value is the AE86, being an automotive performance icon embedded within Japanese culture, much like the Cadillac is to America, the Ferrari is to Italy, and the Rolls-Royce is to England.