The mkiv Supra Owners Club

track car mods??

pedrosixfour

Evenin all, I've a couple of questions I'd like to pose to ye. I'm in the process of making some semblence of a track car out of a NA supra, one thing I'd like to do is upgrade all the brakes to uk spec units but due to financial restraints and the fact that most of the weight I'll be shedding is from the rear and middle of the car I'd like to know is it really necessary to change the rear calipers to maintain brake balance or will the weight loss rectify the imbalance to some extent?

My 2nd question is what options are available in 17" lightweight alloys that clear uk brakes. I'm trying to keep overall wheel/tyre diameter and weight down to maximise my limited power/torque reserves!

Thanks in advance for any help ye can offer guys.

A post I spent ages lookin for has appeared in Dat Inter's recent post so my question about the 17" rims has been addressed. I'd still like some feedback on the brake issue tho, I realise not everyone is quailfied to or would feel confident expressing an opinion on brake mods. But any help would be greatly appreciated from those in the know.

Im no expert... but the jspec brakes after a couple of hard stops turn to mush. Im not sure if this applies to just the front brakes or all 4. I would imagine its all 4.

My thinking regarding wheels is that something intended to be used on a track is going to be big enough to clear the brakes as most after market brake kits look large (to me anyway) so i would imagine they cant be hard to find.

But on the other hand i dont know anyone running 17s (apart from stock ones) on the uk setup. So maybe they are hard to find, or people arnt looking at the right ones.

erm... HTH :p

Read thesre two articles before but they just compounded my confusion! OEM brakes be they NA spec or UK spec are set-up for full factory weight, as I said most of the weight I'm shedding is lost from the cabin and boot so have I already upset the balance of the brakes due to the front/rear weight distribution being altered or am I just over thinking this whole point!

To be honest the weight is nothing extreme, seats, carpets, mouldings, heater and its plumbing, the usual suspects, absolutely nothing like Ryan G.'s creation (hats off by the way) so its probably not that big of a deal. I'm just keen on getting the brake and suspension set-ups as dialled in as I can so I can concentrate on driving it on the ragged edge!

Read thesre two articles before but they just compounded my confusion! OEM brakes be they NA spec or UK spec are set-up for full factory weight, as I said most of the weight I'm shedding is lost from the cabin and boot so have I already upset the balance of the brakes due to the front/rear weight distribution being altered or am I just over thinking this whole point!

Weight distribution isn't the same thing as how much braking effort is occuring at the Front Vs the Rear (i.e. the brake bias).

I understand what you're worrying about, that the bias might not be quite right once you've removed a lot of weight, but I seriously doubt you'll affect the braking performance (at least not negatively).

Yeah I'm starting to think I'm just looking for problems at this stage! By the time I fit the rollcage and move the fuel tank it'll probably weight more than it did in the first place! But it never hurts to get the opinions of those in the know. Thanks to all for your time and input.

Oh by the way, anyone with a cheap uk brake set up and 17" lightweights, I got first dibs! Never hurts to be an optimist either!